Getting different opinions- should I fix this connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Eddy100

Reaction score
I have a light drip that has been occurring for about 6 months from my hot water heater. It's light enough that no water builds up, just some dampness in the pan. Two plumbers have told me that no action is required and eventually the connection will calcify.

Another plumber today told me he doesn't agree at all and I should repair it ASAP as it will only get worse.

Thoughts?

J7LyDFI.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect this is a compression fitting.

I would use a 10-inch curved jaw locking pliers to hold the area behind the threads.

milwaukee-locking-pliers-2.jpg

Then with a good big wrench, I would try turning the nut 1/8 turn CW, applying the torque against the pliers. If that is not enough, try more. I am not a pro.

An open-end fixed wrench jaw should not be oversized, and an adjustable wrench should not be sloppy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If that were me, I would take it apart and replace or repair the leaking gasket.

Reach4

Reaction score
If that were me, I would take it apart and replace or repair the leaking gasket.
So you don't think that unscrewing that nut will reveal a ferrule?

If not a ferrule, maybe pulling the nut, and adding some packing string would fix it.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with water heater connections like that. I would assume a gasket, but it could have a ferrule in there.. Either way I would want to take it apart and clean it up to make sure its a solid connection.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Replacing this connector would be my choice.
Cut the copper pipe.
Unscrew the nut.
Install a new 3/4" female connector to the WH nipple.
Clean the end of the copper pipe and solder into the female connector. If it doesn't reach, add a short piece of 3/4" copper pipe and a coupling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks