Furnace Whistling/Squealing

Users who are viewing this thread

TimJ2021

Reaction score
I have a Payne furnace. I hear a whistling or high-pitched squealing sound whenever the inducer motor kicks in.

Thinking it might be a bad bearing, I replaced the inducer motor but the sound has not changed. I push on various parts of the furnace and motor (carefully) when it is running to see if it is a vibration. I can detect only very slight changes in the sound when I do this. The fan blades are not contacting the motor mount. Maybe it is instead air rushing through an opening, but the noise is quite loud - can be heard a couple of houses away.

Any ideas as to what to check next?

Thanks,
Tim

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there a belt, or is the squirrel cage on the motor shaft? Guess you would have mentioned a belt if you have one.

TimJ2021

Reaction score
Right, there is no belt. It is direct drive with the fan attached to the shaft using a set screw on the flat.

TimJ2021

Reaction score
Three images attached

Attachments

• Inner Lower.jpeg
    Inner Lower.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 247
  • Inner Upper.jpeg
    Inner Upper.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 157
  • Outer.jpeg
    Outer.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 164

Fitter30

Reaction score
Did you replace the blower wheel and inspect it normally being in the path of flue gas can't get it off without egging it. When remounting ventor assembly did you use any high temp sealant to seal the housing to the heat exchanger?

TimJ2021

Reaction score
I did not replace the blower wheel since it comes on prior to the inducer motor spinning up. When it is just the blower spinning, I do not hear the noise and so left it alone.
When I remounted the inducer assembly, I used a new gasket (felt or some type of paper). This is the only thing I changed.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Is there an AC coil anywhere? If your thermostat has a "FAN" and "AUTO" position, move it to fan. This will only run the blower only and not the inducer.

If the whistle noise is only when the inducer motor runs and the neighbors can hear it, look outside at the exhaust vent. It maybe plugged up causing the noise. Doubtful that your neighbors hear it if it was inside the furnace.

TimJ2021

Reaction score
I've run the furnace with the faceplate off and the safety interlock defeated. I can see the inducer motor startup as the noise begins. It also sounds as if the sound is coming from the bottom half of the unit.

Do these things ever hit some kind of resonance frequency when the air rushes through just right?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
You just need a small opening anywhere to cause a whistle noise. At my air handler for AC, my son can hear a whistle at the filter grill and I cannot. Flexing the grill around and filter the whistle goes away.

Since you feel it’s the airflow from the inducer fan, check around the burners. This would be a good time to clean the air intakes to the burners, even expose the plenum looking for corrosion.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Furnace looks like it was made week 18 of 1996. Pull burners get a telescopic mirror good flashlite and inspect heat exchanger looking for crack or a baffle that has rusted away. Combustion analyzer is needed to really check it. 25 year old furnace is past its life span.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks