frozen vent pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

explorrerr7

Reaction score
I have recently smelled a foul smell in the basement of my home. Upon reading, I believe the smell may be coming from backup from a frozen vent pipe(?). I am a single mom, and consider myself to be somewhat of a "do-it-yourselfer"...as much as possible.
My question is...what 'exactly' does the access to a vent pipe look like from the basement...what am I looking for?
I appreciate any insight...:)

bob tenthousand

Reaction score
had same problem and it was not the plumbing

I had a similar bad smell problem and it took a long time to figure out. I poured water down every drain in the basement and covered drain openings that weren't used. Nothing. The sewage pipe out of the house was not broken. I even thought something died under the front porch or was protecting it's territory whenever it heard noise from the basement.

Finally I figured it out.

I had a screw in electric plug in a light fixture in the ceiling. I put it in so I could plug in an appliance without using an extension cord to the other side of the basement.

Apparently the plastic had dried out and smelled whenever heat from the light bulb reacted with it. The smell was just like bathroom sewage after a bad meal. I took it out and replaced the bulb for good measure.

Problem fixed. No smell since.

BTW, I'm glad this board is here. I'm just a home owner who is trying to be more self sufficient. Later this summer I hope to have the time to learn how to sweat copper pipe and maybe put in a few electrical outlets in the basement. To me, I will feel like a master home owner at that time. It's nice to share experience with people who are experts.

explorrerr7

Reaction score
floor drains?

I'm not certain what I'm smelling is considered "sewer gas" but, I think it's coming from what I've heard termed the "stink pipe?"
I do not have any floor drains in my basement that I know of, unless you are talking about the sump pump and/or a large area that the sump pump drains into to the outside of the house. This "drain" has water going through it often...could it be that?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks