Foul water in my basement...

Users who are viewing this thread

Caoimhin

Reaction score
140-year old house with a 20-year old septic system. Dirt floor basement with fieldstone foundation laid dry. Whenever we get 2+ inches of rain, the basement floods. There's a slight slope going down from North to South, and a little trench North to South ending in a pipe that goes beneath the South foundation wall to somewhere (never have found the outlet). Also have a pump in case there's a lot of rain. It's not unusual to have several inches down there for a few days.

However, last Spring and this Spring, after the flood waters recede, there's still a trickle coming from under the North foundation, and this water smells like sewage. It's clear, but it reeks.

Last year, the man who installed the tank came out, pumped the tank and cleared the filter at the far end of the tank, and the leak and smell went away. It didn't make sense to me at the time that this should have done anything, so maybe it was a coincidence?

This year, I made sure the filter was all clear, and -- with three kids -- our 1,000 tank would explode if the effluent wasn't getting out. Still a smelly trickle...

I dug up and exposed the pvc pipe leading to the tank, hoping there was a leak there, or where it pierced the tank, but no such luck. It seems, then, that either the pipe to the leech field is leaking, or the leech field is working, but part of the water coming out of the leech field is going downhill into my basement.

The leech field is about 70 feet from the house on the North side. From looking at it, you'd think the house was uphill from the leech field, but the house is perched on boulders, and the flow of water in the basement illustrates that the flow of water is North to South.

Another piece: the pipe to the leech field has dirt piled on top of it (there's a long mound in my backyard over it), presumably because they hit ledge. Would this suggest a nice, stoney highway for leech field effluent to travel toward my basement underground?

Next step is to dye the water going into the leech field, test my well water, and then probably shoot myself in the head.

Could this be simply leech field effluent making it to my basement in times of high water? If so, what's the best way to curb all flooding problems (not just stinky ones)?

It's always flooded; why does it smell now (been there 8 years)?

How far does leech field effluent have to travel through soil in order to become non-poisonous? Even if it wasn't in my basement, that gross water is still going down to the same water table as my well, and all of the wells around here are fairly shallow, and leech fields aren't a quarter mile from wells. Why aren't we all dead, have kids with 11 toes, etc.?

The pipe to the leech field has been driven over. If it was leaking, would it be wet there (it's not)? I'm wondering if I should dig to expose this "outbound" pipe, too.

I've attached a pretty poor drawing. I might take a few photos, if I don't shoot myself first...

Attachments

• septic.gif
    septic.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 289

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You need water tests for Coliform bacteria and nitrates and nitrites. And if the results are negative now, they may not be in a few days, weeks or a month so rather than constant testing I would install a disinfection system or UV light IF the water water hardness, iron, H2S etc. content allows the use of a UV light.

Since it has been driven over, I would dig up the out bound line form the tank and check for leaks.

Caoimhin

Reaction score
Also...

The leach field is about 60 feet from the house, so could effluent go from there through soil and back to my basement, and still stink like that?

Any problem dying the tank and seeing if it has a leak somewhere? I've heard dye can't make it 60 feet through soil, too....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks