Fleck 5600sxt drain line placement

Users who are viewing this thread

roswell1965

Reaction score
Hello,

First post, let me say "thank you" as I've been reading here for several years and my water heater install went smoothly thanks in large part to this forum.

I'm ready to install my new Fleck 5600 and am struggling with how to run the drain line. When the contractor installed our new furnace/AC he tapped directly into the sewer line. I thought nothing of it at the time but after all the research I've done for this latest project I'm not sure that was a good idea. Anyway -

What I'm thinking is I'll tap into the PVC that drains the washing machine. I'm not sure if even this is acceptable and am wondering what my options are. A barb fitting into a tapped hole is what I was thinking. I've seen setups with an airgap but I'm not sure I have the clearance above the pipe to do that.

The rest of the install will be easy - it's just this drain line I can't figure out, any advice is much appreciated.

Mark

AC LINE INSTALL
AC_Line.jpg

WASHER RETURN SECOND FROM LEFT; TAP IN THERE
Line_From Washer.jpg

CLOSEUP OF WASHER RETURN
Line from washer closeup.jpg

RUN INTO SEPTIC TANK
IMG_0367.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
You could run the drain up to the higher floor.

In your photos, I think maybe you could run a standpipe as shown in the marked up photo.

While for a laundry, dimension H needs to be at least 18 inches, I don't think that stands for a softener standpipe. These could maybe be run in 1.5 PVC and H might be 8 inches. 1.5 inches has pre-made air gaps available. The

I am not a plumber. There are probably rules I am missing. I am not presenting this as correct, but rather something that could be correct with revision.
img_4.jpg

The fittings into the bigger pipes would not be tees. They could be combos or probably something else.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you mean this kind of setup?
No. That one has no vent. It it had an AAV after the trap and before the 45 down, then it would be good. OK, it should maybe also have a support to take weight. Maybe that clamp at the end of the black hose is connected to the subfloor above, providing support.

roswell1965

Reaction score
Thanks for your help Reach. I just ordered the 1.5" airgap, don't see them for sale at either of my local Lowes or Home Depot stores.

Reach4

Reaction score
So the air gap isn’t enough, I need a vent as well?
Yes.

You have the option of running the drain hose to the floor above. Maybe add it to the standpipe for the washer or drain it into the laundry tub.

roswell1965

Reaction score
Would need to use rubber couplings to secure standpipe in that vertical section before it goes out through the wall as those pipes are immovable.

Reach4

Reaction score
My reference was the following quote which apparently you disagree with:

“The drum trap is an anti-siphon trap. The only reason for an AAV is to keep a p-trap from siphoning out.”
Drum traps are no longer allowed by code.

But if they were, I think you would still need a vent. So I do expect that quote was wrong. Maybe I am wrong. I am not a plumber. Very innovative tho.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks