exposed 2-inch pvc plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

mouseandcat

Reaction score
Is there any code violation with running exposed pex or pvc interior to the house but exterior to the wall/ceiling cavities?

i am needing run new 2-inch drain for the washing machine (moving it further away from where it is currently). currently the drain, hot water, and cold water are inside the stud bay mounted through one of those oatey boxes. I need to move the washer 5 feet to the right. I see a few ways to do this:

(1) open up the walls, drill through the 2x4 studs to accommodate the 2in drain and the pex for the 2 water sources.
(2) keep the drain and water where it is: use a longer flexible tube from the washing machine to the drain's current location
(3) run pvc outside the wall to the new location, same with water: run pex or braided lines along the same path (no need to drill through the studs)

We can't do (1) because of the expense and time it would take.

(3) is most appealing to me because we can keep the pvc along the bottom of the floor (with the appropriate slope over ~5 feet) and have the stand pipe behind closer to the washing machine.

I know in basements and other utility spaces there's all sorts of pipes that are not covered up. But for some reason this being next to our living room I feel like its different. It would look weird but would be the easiest and cheapest thing for us to do at the moment. At a later time we can cover up the pex and 2-inch pvc thats running along the wall by boxing it all in. I'm asking about this now because we wont be able to box all the piping in right now but want to pull the appropriate permits for this work.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nothing weird or unusual about piping being exposed. PEX should be protected from UV rays which could be pipe insulation or even painted with latex paint.

mouseandcat

Reaction score
Nothing weird or unusual about piping being exposed. PEX should be protected from UV rays which could be pipe insulation or even painted with latex paint.
So sorry about the delayed response, seems like the forum isn't sending me emails when there's activity in the thread!

yes, it will be all 'exposed' in the interior of the house (also away from exterior walls, only one interior wall); so no exposure to any of the elements.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks