Elbow below slab?

Users who are viewing this thread

N0tAPlumber

Reaction score
Hello all,

We are having our basement finished and are adding a bathroom. When creating the new plumbing, our contractor appears to be adding an elbow to horizontally turn the flow of the upstairs wastewater 90 degrees just ~2 ft. beyond where it enters the slab and around where the toilet plumbing will go. The vertical pipe not connected to anything at the left will carry all waste water from the upstairs bathrooms to the sewer main that runs under the slab. Is this turn in the main pipe acceptable or am I risking clogs? Or should I ask them to make this 90 a 45 and connect the further down the line?
Thank you!

658E8FBD-9CB2-4EC0-89F9-A0B828FD1F7F.jpeg
D3EB8B42-BA34-4E3C-846F-DA91990FA1B6.jpeg

Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Does not meet UPC, I can tell you that.
It is good that there is a cleanout for that run, but, I would not recommend having the waste from above anywhere near that bathroom group, unless you vent the WC first, then have drainage enter...but, then you have the P trap to vent also before the upstairs line comes in.
Your contractor is NOT A PLUMBER! Hire a plumber.

N0tAPlumber

Reaction score
Does not meet UPC, I can tell you that.
It is good that there is a cleanout for that run, but, I would not recommend having the waste from above anywhere near that bathroom group, unless you vent the WC first, then have drainage enter...but, then you have the P trap to vent also before the upstairs line comes in.
Your contractor is NOT A PLUMBER! Hire a plumber.
Thanks so much for confirming this wasn’t above board breplum. We brought this up with our GC and he had them rework this whole section and I have much better peace of mind!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks