DWV plan

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by ETOH, Aug 3, 2020.

1. ETOH

ETOH New Member

hello all,

I am in the Middle of a master bath remodel. Everything is open and accessible. I’ve done some searching and I think this plan follows the rules but would love confirmation. Looking forward to feedback

Thanks!

B8B91B1E-F052-4FD4-8E42-DCC4D4EF8059.jpeg

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

If that wye for the toilet is in the horizontal plane, then you are good. If that wye is in the horizontal vertical plane, some would say it is not allowed. I don't know why, or even if, it would be a problem.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    ETOH likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

ETOH likes this.
  4. ETOH

ETOH New Member

Thanks for the reply. You wrote horizontal twice. Please clarify

Reach4 likes this.
  5. ETOH

ETOH New Member

And the wyes for the shower and wc would both be horizontal in the drawing

6. gagecalman

gagecalman Member

I'm not a plumber. Just trying to learn.
    What vents the toilet? If it's wet vented by the lav does that vent need to be 2"?

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Toilet venting is different than for other things. For most things, the venting prevents siphoning in the trap. In a toilet, the trap is part of the toilet. The trap siphons out on purpose. The trap then gets refilled via the refill tube and the overflow tube as the tank refills.

The venting then keeps the slug of water and solids from being held back. In UPC, the toilet is last in the wet-venting line. In IPC, that is not required. There must be a roof vent in the system to prevent a pressurized system, but the lavatory and the rest of the group could be vented with an AAV.

UPC wants the wet vent for the toilet to be 2 inches (or more). IPC, not sure. 1.5 inches after a lavatory may be sufficient, but I am not sure of that.

8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    There is absolutely NO requirement, in the UPC, that the toilet be the "last" fixture.

9. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

UPC allows a shower downstream of the toilet to be wet vented by a lavatory upstream of the toilet?

10. ETOH

ETOH New Member

I can make the vent 2” if that is better?

11. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

12. gagecalman

gagecalman Member

I would go wih the 2" if you have the room.
    I think UPC wants 2" and IPC 1-1/2 as Reach stated. You didn't post which code is required.

13. ETOH

ETOH New Member

I’m in Ohio which I believe is IPC

14. DavidDeBord

DavidDeBord New Member

HVAC/Electrical/Refrigeration
    Ohio is under the IPC

15. ETOH

ETOH New Member

Follow up question. Probably tackling this today. I have the ability to vent the shower directly since everything is open. Is it better to do this performance wise? Or will everything be fine with the wet vent setup? Obviously it is easier/quicker to wet vent but this is our master bath and will be used daily so performance is a consideration.