Dryer vent gap

Users who are viewing this thread

appdude

Reaction score
Its been a long time since i've last been here. Anyway, we recently switched out our old dryer vent hood because the old one had broken flaps. Though the new one does look nice, on the inside, there is now a gap between the vent and the wall. I'm not concerned about insulation because there is fiber glass surrounding the pipe. Now to fill in the gap, i seen people recommend using spray foam. The only problem I have with spray foam is its flammability. There is very hot air passing through the vent and I'm concerned about using this. Has anybody used this? Or is there an alternative?

Rayh78

Reaction score
Its been a long time since i've last been here. Anyway, we recently switched out our old dryer vent hood because the old one had broken flaps. Though the new one does look nice, on the inside, there is now a gap between the vent and the wall. I'm not concerned about insulation because there is fiber glass surrounding the pipe. Now to fill in the gap, i seen people recommend using spray foam. The only problem I have with spray foam is its flammability. There is very hot air passing through the vent and I'm concerned about using this. Has anybody used this? Or is there an alternative?

Well just use Great Stuff fire block formula, but good luck if you ever have to replace the vent and pipe again.
If the wall is already insulated why not just caulk a trim ring in place.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The Great Stuff Fire Block formula's ignition temp is a bit on the low side , and is the same as all of their other can-foams) and lousy choice for sealing up a dryer vent:

"CAUTION: When cured, these products are combustible and will burn if exposed to open flame or sparks from high-energy sources. Do not expose to temperatures above 240ºF (116ºC)."

I'm not sure what the max operating temp would be that wouldn't prematurely age it, making it brittle & crumble, but it's probably not much more than 150F.

The primary difference between the FireBlock and the other versions of Great Stuff is that it's orange, which makes it easy for the inspectors to see in jurisdictions where fire codes require every electrical, plumbing, and duct penetrations between floors or framing to be air-sealed for fire safety.

Caulking a non-flammable ring in place with a fire-rated caulk such as RTV silicone would make more sense.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks