Drop in tub help needed

Users who are viewing this thread

NJPA

Reaction score
Hello Everyone !

This is my first time here on the site. I need a little help.

I am installing a drop in Jacuzzi brand tub. The instruction don't say any more than to set in mortor or expansion foam. My floor was not level so I put down some thin set. I built out my box/tub surround in an alcove. It's all level. So I was told I shold take Structolite and make a nice mound of it and mush the tub down into it until it stops on my tile, fill the top half way and leave it until it drys. Correct ? Anything else I should do ?

Thank you

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Just make sure it is level
and you have a good helper with a least a half a brain to help you set it in place lol :D

A bad helper can really screw things up for you

NJPA

Reaction score
Hey Krow,

Thanks for the reply.

Is it ok that my box/surround(sorry -- dont know the actual name for it) is level ? It should matter about the floor right, since the structolite will be supporting the tub?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

Is it ok that my box/surround(sorry -- dont know the actual name for it) is level ?

How else would you make it? If it is not level the tub will not be either. Put a sheet of plastic over the Structolite or whatever you use so the tub does not get cemented into place. Do NOT tile up to the tub. Either tile first and then install the tub on top of the tile, or set the tub and then tile over, not against, the rim of the tub.

NJPA

Reaction score
What I meant was, my floor is not level, but I made my tub surround framing level. So as long as I go into the structrolite and mush it down to the tile, and stop --- I should be good correct ? Since my framing is level.

Thanks

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
What I meant was, my floor is not level, but I made my tub surround framing level. So as long as I go into the structrolite and mush it down to the tile, and stop --- I should be good correct ? Since my framing is level.

Thanks
That will be fine. By making the frame level, the tub will automatically become level. Its horrible trying to level a teb with a out of level frame lol ;)

inexplorata

Reaction score
Anything else I should do ?

Wrap that sucker with as much insulation as you can. I just put one in and left one side uninsulated so I could check for leaks after a few baths... you could really tell which side it was.

NJPA

Reaction score
I've never done one before Krow. So I really wasn't sure how to go about it. But just glad that's the way and it would work. I figured it should lol

Inexplorata --- I heard that you have to watch with the insulation because it over heats the motor ?? Ever hear that ?

Is it really loud?

Thanks

NJPA

Reaction score
Wrap the tub itself with insulation? or fill the surround walls with insulation?

Thanks !!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks