Drain-Tailpiece Leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
I've been scratching me head on this one...I've replaced the DW tailpiece directly off the sink drain twice already. Top Hat Washer as well.
17GA tailpiece . Noticed this again, corrison outside tailpiece - must be coming from the joint between sink drain-tailpiece.

What gives. I think on this round, I'm going to put some dang tape and dope on the nut, just because for good measure

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
losing me with your words whats leaking? dw tailpiece ? top hat ? what is this kitchen sink ? lav ? I dont know why but Im drawing a blank what your talking about hate to admit it

Chefwong

Reaction score
Off the Kitchen sink drain, it's leaking on the DW tailpiece off of it (17awg brass).
Didn't pick up on it till now, but it's got quite a bit of crud/corrision from whatever is slowly leaking from use....
And I've replaced it 2X in the last 5 years as a Wild Guess ? Last time being maybe a year to 16 months ago ?

I gotta do it again, so either I'm not tigheting it enough, or I need to -dope- the threads to let me tighten even more or like TR suggested and this what I am thinking, is don't replace with brass but poly

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the leak is coming from the slipjoint connection, then a poly won't be able to be tightened more than a brass/steel nut would. Maybe a softer washer would squish and hold torque better and potentially fill any gaps in the mating surface?

royalflush001

Reaction score
Use compatible metals (avoid mixing brass & steel).
Seal it up! Teflon tape + dope on the nut threads.
Upgrade the washer: high-quality rubber or double-washer.
Clean regularly: remove corrosion with vinegar/baking soda.

Remember to check for rough edges, use the correct length, and avoid overtightening.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Still dont really get it but a slip joint washer I like are those soft blue rubber ones. This aint rocket science take it apart clean it alighn everything properly and try again sometimes I just tear all that crap out and throw away and for around 6 dollars rebuild it after all all time is money.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks