Drain line: Video inspection service

Users who are viewing this thread

Rfsmith48

Reaction score
HI folks,

I am about to Roto-root the Main drain for my house. I have been doing this annually due to sporadic blockages that always seen to occur when I am traveling. The annual cleaning seems to have eliminated the surprises.

Questions: When I contract with a Video inspection service, what am I looking for?
1. How do they trace the restriction/blockage? Do they use sensors to show the exact dig location on the surface?
2. What kind of output should I demand/expect? VHS tape? CD?
3. What else?

Thanks in advance.

Rog Smith

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Most will use a locating device such as Rigids Sonde to pinpoint location and depth. You will probably pay extra for this service above the cost of the camera inspection. We either let you watch as we go or if you want a copy we can send it to DVD so's you and the family can watch.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
After the line has been cleaned it when you want the camera inspection to go in and see any defect in the pipes. Once a year is a bit often and sounds like some repair is needed.

THe camera has a transmitter built into it that can locate the bad spot with remarkable precision.

I would recommend witnessing the inspection as there are companies that need to be kept on a close eye out there. A few but it is best to witness. There really is no rocket science here and anything they show you should make sense. All of the customers can readily tell when there is a problem. sometimes it takes a trained eye to know exactly what it is but they know something is wrong.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
video

NEVER get a camera inspection without a tape or DVD. Without that you have to rely on the operator's opinion and memory, and that can be flawed. I just had one last week where the operator told the customer he had a broken sewer, roots in the line, and dips. When I did my own camera work, there were dips, but no break and no roots. If the first guy had given a DVD, I would have been able to check his opinion without the cost of a second inspection. But he wanted to break the exposed aggregate driveway and repair the sewer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks