Double sink AAV

Users who are viewing this thread

LadyMarq

Reaction score
Getting ready to plumb kitchen double sink to drain coming up from the floor. Due to location the re-do rough in plumber said need use AAV. Is this picture the correct/best way to accomplish the job (no disposal) . No inspections required but want to do it right. Read somewhere that this type of connection creates competition for the drain if both sinks emptying at same time so not sure if this is best/correct way to get this done. The AAV need to be off to the side to get it high enough due to plumbing & the bowls are very close to each other..

Are there better brands of AAV's or ones to stay away from? I end up ordering most things internet due to location so no problem if not available locally.

Thanks in advance for any i
SinkDoubleAAV.jpg
nput.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's not the best way to do it. AAV's are a maintenance item. Not really sure there's one brand better than the other they all will go bad and need changed.

Reach4

Reaction score
Studor is a good name and started it all, but I expect Sioux Chief, Oatey, and Rectorseal are good too.

If the pictured place were mine, I think I might trim 1/4 inch off of the bottom of the tee so that the horizontal pieces slope down toward the middle.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
A few comments:

- The drains after the trap are the correct pattern when using an AAV.

- The rubber coupling from PVC to copper is the wrong type. For above ground use you need a shielded coupling. For 2" plastic to 2" copper, that would be Fernco Proflex 3001-22 or Mission CK-22.

- No opinion on the tubular pattern, the central tee vs having one drain drop straight down to the trap.

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Configuration looks good to me too.. looks like its installed properly

Same concern with the rubber coupling that Wayne pointed out.

Same concern with the tubular slope that Reach4 pointed out.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's not the best way to do it. AAV's are a maintenance item. Not really sure there's one brand better than the other they all will go bad and need changed.
Never changed out an AAV but not that common around here . Do you change many?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Never changed out an AAV but not that common around here . Do you change many?

No I haven't changed many. We chop them out more than anything.

They aren't legal here. When we can use them (with inspectors permission) I don't install them like that. We install them up as high as we can, basically to the under side of the counter. That way when they fail they won't ruin the wood under your sink. Or at least it's highly unlikely.

In the picture above a clog at the copper connection would be devastating after any kind of crud or dust settles on the seat of the AAV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks