Do people use Iron Out to manage iron level?

Users who are viewing this thread

Young

Reaction score
Is using Iron Out recommended to manage iron level in water? I haven't done iron level test yet but I do see orange stain in places like shower. I use Fleck 5600. I recently replaced resin because we had serious water flow issue. This was after ~7 years of service. Water flow issue is gone now.

Also, does Iron Out dissolved in brine get washed out during regen? Wonder if it will get into service water.

Thanks!
Young

Bannerman

Reaction score
Iron Out and similar resin cleaners, are mild acids which are utilized in conjunction with salt brine, to breakdown and dissolve iron that has accumulated on the resin beads outer surface, which helps to restore the resin's ability to remove hardness.

A resin cleaner added into the resin tank, will be transferred to the media tank along with the liquid brine, usually within the 1st 15-20 minutes of a typical 60-minute Brine Draw cycle. Slow Rinse flow will continue during the remaining 40-45 minutes, which will cause the cleaner and brine to be pushed downward through the resin bed. As Slow Rinse utilizes fresh water, the cleaner, hardness minerals, Chloride, excess sodium and the loosened iron deposits are rinsed from the resin and flushed to drain, meaning they should be eliminated before the control valve returns to the Service position to restore soft water delivery to the home's fixtures.

I recently replaced resin because we had serious water flow issue.
Reduced water flow through the resin bed, will most often be caused by resin that has been damaged over time due to constant chlorine exposure. Is you water supply municipal or a private well?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Do you use glandular salt, salt pellets or a salt block? Most salt pellets do have some iron out in the pellet for constant maintenance.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I would not use Iron Out on a regular basis. AFAIK, frequent use of Iron Out is detrimental to softener beads. Anytime I used it in the past, it left a smell and taste in the treated water which suggests that it does not get completely rinsed out during regen. After the regen, the residue can also liberate some iron that has built up in the plumbing and water heater.

I use Morton Clean and Protect Plus Rust Defense softener salt with citric acid to maintain my softener.

Young

Reaction score
Iron Out and similar resin cleaners, are mild acids which are utilized in conjunction with salt brine, to breakdown and dissolve iron that has accumulated on the resin beads outer surface, which helps to restore the resin's ability to remove hardness.

A resin cleaner added into the resin tank, will be transferred to the media tank along with the liquid brine, usually within the 1st 15-20 minutes of a typical 60-minute Brine Draw cycle. Slow Rinse flow will continue during the remaining 40-45 minutes, which will cause the cleaner and brine to be pushed downward through the resin bed. As Slow Rinse utilizes fresh water, the cleaner, hardness minerals, Chloride, excess sodium and the loosened iron deposits are rinsed from the resin and flushed to drain, meaning they should be eliminated before the control valve returns to the Service position to restore soft water delivery to the home's fixtures.

Reduced water flow through the resin bed, will most often be caused by resin that has been damaged over time due to constant chlorine exposure. Is you water supply municipal or a private well?
So hopefully everything gets rinsed away. It's city water. And resin in Fleck lasted ~7 years.

Do you use glandular salt, salt pellets or a salt block? Most salt pellets do have some iron out in the pellet for constant maintenance.

We use Morton Clean and Protect pallets. https://www.mortonsalt.com/home-product/morton-clean-and-protect-pellets/ I am not able to find anything else from hardware stores around me.

MaxBlack

Reaction score
I looked-up the SDS for Morton Clean & Protect plus Rust Defense and the only two ingredients are Sodium Chloride (98.5-98.9%) and "Citrates" (a miniscule 0.33-0.55%). Makes me wonder how "worth it" for the additional cost.

Iron-Out comes in many formulations:

The powder form of Iron OUT contains the following ingredients:

I don't know which of the above might be harmful to resin? Anyone know?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks