DIY sink drain connection in half bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dope. The dope should allow you to tighten the bottom nut more and help fill in the threads.

Some people silicone the bottom.

Reach4

Reaction score
MattBD: Can you unscrew that nut, or is it glued in place?

MattBD

Reaction score
Can you unscrew that nut, or is it glued in place?
I can unscrew it. Here's what I'm working with.

16459974442967381165892275224452.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
If you had used silicone sealant (RTV) on the threads that leak, you would not have been able to unscrew the nut. You may have used silicone grease. Work plumbers putty into the threads in the part that the nut will engage plus a tad higher. Your leak following the threads will probably go away.

MattBD

Reaction score
If you had used silicone sealant (RTV) on the threads that leak, you would not have been able to unscrew the nut. You may have used silicone grease. Work plumbers putty into the threads in the part that the nut will engage plus a tad higher. Your leak following the threads will probably go away.
Here's a link to the manual (PDF). Step 4 is the one that says to use silicone under the drain flange (not on the threads, in fact it doesn't say anything about the threads). I used this silicone.

Another poster said to use pipe dope. I was looking at this one for plastic pipes.

Reach4

Reaction score
Here's a link to the manual (PDF). Step 4 is the one that says to use silicone under the drain flange (not on the threads, in fact it doesn't say anything about the threads). I used this silicone.

Another poster said to use pipe dope. I was looking at this one for plastic pipes.
Add plumbers putty on the threads under L gasket and M nut. That is to block water traveling the spiral path of the threads. See https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-with-bathroom-drain.94942/#post-683332

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use putty on top if the gasket and sink hole dont have a good fit that then Ill use a little putty on bottom . and sometimes i use pipe dope heavy on the threads . the big gasket on bottom is very common not to seal on the threads especialy if the gasket dosent mate with the hole that good it seems some just arent desighned good

MattBD

Reaction score
I use putty on top if the gasket and sink hole dont have a good fit that then Ill use a little putty on bottom . and sometimes i use pipe dope heavy on the threads . the big gasket on bottom is very common not to seal on the threads especialy if the gasket dosent mate with the hole that good it seems some just arent desighned good
Seems like this was it—poor design. I am amazed that these interfaces are not standardized!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks