Diverter valve in double bowl sink for gray water

Users who are viewing this thread

Doug Henningsen

Reaction score
Living in the bone-dry state of California we typically save "cleaner" kitchen water in a small container in the sink to water plants.

I'm considering replumbing one of the double bowl kitchen sinks (w/o the disposal) to collect gray water. I would install a 3-way diverter valve after the P trap under the "gray water" bowl to allow the use of the waste line when needed (ie cleaning) but generally, we'd commit that bowl to gray water. Gray water would drain to a collection container in the crawlspace with a float pump then pumped to the garden.

Outside of the permit, what other issues should I consider?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Living in the bone-dry state of California we typically save "cleaner" kitchen water in a small container in the sink to water plants.

I'm considering replumbing one of the double bowl kitchen sinks (w/o the disposal) to collect gray water. I would install a 3-way diverter valve after the P trap under the "gray water" bowl to allow the use of the waste line when needed (ie cleaning) but generally, we'd commit that bowl to gray water. Gray water would drain to a collection container in the crawlspace with a float pump then pumped to the garden.

Outside of the permit, what other issues should I consider?
Kitchen sinks can't be grey water if I remember right. Lav, bath, and clothes washer I think.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks