Double kitchen sink clogs on one side

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark1400

Reaction score
I have a double kitchen sink that is plumbed per the attached picture. The left sink bowl is almost never has water running in it - it used to dry dishes, and only occasionally has water run in it to clean the bowl. Several times now I've had to clean the tail piece out because of a clog - the entire length of the tail piece was totally clogged - about 8". What could be causing this, given that virtually nothing is being run down that side? I haven't had an issue on the right side where the disposal is (and I minimize the usage of the disposal). Could it be that by not running much water down the left side, whatever particles do get in that drain start to accumulate over time?

IMG_2419.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Your dishwasher should not be injecting where it is. It would be better to knock out the plug on the disposal dishwasher input, and route the dishwasher there.

That center tee method is not a favorite of the plumbers here. See https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/install-garbage-disposal-in-double-sink.1736/

I wonder if your center tee has a baffle that is symmetrical left and right. It probably does, but you might check that. The wrong baffle or no baffle could direct solids left of the tee. See if you can convert your system to be more like those in the link.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your garbage disposal is injecting the pipe with solids and they aren't being washed back down. You should reconfigure the piping.

Mark1400

Reaction score
Your dishwasher should not be injecting where it is. It would be better to knock out the plug on the disposal dishwasher input, and route the dishwasher there.

That center tee method is not a favorite of the plumbers here. See https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/install-garbage-disposal-in-double-sink.1736/

I wonder if your center tee has a baffle that is symmetrical left and right. It probably does, but you might check that. The wrong baffle or no baffle could direct solids left of the tee. See if you can convert your system to be more like those in the link.
Thanks for the information. I did notice how the dishwasher was routed - not sure why they did it that way, but easy enough to change. The center tee does have a baffle.

Reach4

Reaction score
Reconfigure would be the deal then.

It seems to me that somebody should make a slip joint wye to use where this baffle tee is being used. But it does not exist as far as I can find.
index.php
Ignore the hand-drawn words. How deep is your trap seal (A or B in the picture)? I am not saying that a 5 inch deep seal would cause your symptoms, but is does look a little deep.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks