Did my contractor mess up our entire plumbing system?

Users who are viewing this thread

staci

Reaction score
We just went through a major master bathroom remodel where we completely gutted the old bathroom and went through the concrete to re-route all of the plumbing to change the location of everything and install new vents, etc.

The contractor we hired did all of the plumbing himself and didn’t hire a master plumber. He also didn’t apply for a permit so nothing was inspected by the city. (Believe me, I’ve learned my lesson!).

Below is a list of the problems we’ve encountered so far. I know this is a long read, but I need help.

7-20-09: He eliminated our main line clean-out for the back of the house: After demo, our contractor pointed to a large gray pipe in the ground that ran from our old toilet to a big stack on the exterior wall of the house which went all the way through the roof. He pointed to it and said, “Look at what we found…I have no idea what this is. I told you we were going to find surprises here.†By “surprises†I had a feeling he was trying to get more money out of me for the extra work he and his crew were going to have to do to address this so-called problem. He told me that after he installs the new pipe for the new toilet and connects the new toilet line to the old main line, he was going to “cap-off†that gray pipe in the ground and leave that pipe along with the big vent stack it was attached to dead in the ground and in the wall. I found out later that that was our main clean out for the back of the house and we would need it for the sewage back-up we were going to encounter soon…

8-15-09: Sewage backup starting in the guest bathroom and extending to masterbath:
Well, fast forward several weeks to when all the plumbing is installed the concrete has been poured and the walls are up and they’re working on the finish-out. During the entire remodel, my husband and I were living in the guest bedroom and bathroom on the other side of the house. One day, the water stopped draining in that guest bathroom shower, then the toilet wouldn’t flush and then later that night we noticed that everytime we ran the water or flushed a toilet, sewage starting coming up through the drain in the guest bathroom shower. I then noticed that sewage was also coming up in the newly installed master bathroom shower and bathtub (we also have a third bathroom for the kids on the same side of the house as the master and it was fine).

Roto Rooter came and wanted to run the auger from the main line cleanout in the back to the one in the front. When the guy went to the back of the house and pulled the main line cap that was sticking out from the exterior wall, he found nothing. He said (or yelled, rather), “There’s nothing here! Where’s your main line clean-out?†That’s when I realized that that was the exact spot where that big gray stack was on the other side of the wall which was inside our master bathroom…the one the contractor called a “surpriseâ€.

Roto Rooter ran their lines through the vent stacks on the guest bathroom side and he was able to clear the line of whatever was causing the blockage and everything appeared to working fine after that. Of course, even though this problem appeared in the guest bathroom on the other side of the house from the master, I couldn’t help but wonder if it was connected to the plumbing in the master; especially since the master experienced the sewage back-up as well.

After the sewage issue, we called our contractor to come in and assess the situation and tell him to install a new main line clean-out. I won’t get into how that conversation went down, but let’s just say it wasn’t pretty. Luckily the new master toilet was installed on the same exterior wall as the old main line cleanout so he was able to run a pipe from the new toilet through the outside wall and now we have a new main line clean-out for the back of the house which is connected directly to the toilet.

8-18-09: He blamed our shower faucet for the fact that when we turn the shower on, hot water comes out first: During the main line clean-out issue, he showed me how our single handle pressure balance shower handle opens up with hot water coming out first and then as the handle is turned, the cold water comes out. He said in all his years of plumbing he had never seen anything like it and insisted that it was because I bought some kind of European brand faucet with a new fangled design. The brand I bought was “American Standardâ€â€¦as the name implies, it’s American and its design is “standardâ€.

Because of the clean-out issue, I had already arranged to bring in another plumber to inspect the work done thus far (of course, most of the work was already buried under concrete and tiled over) and since this new plumber was coming to the house anyway I asked that he also look at our “hot water first†shower faucet. He took one look and said that the converter was on backwards. He was right and despite my contractor’s protests otherwise and claims of manufacturer defects, etc. he finally took the converter off, turned it around and put it on the right way. If the other plumber hadn’t been there, I think he was planning on sticking with his story that it was the product…and not his own incompetence…that was causing the problem.

8-20-09: Kid’s bathroom toilet won’t flush: Roto rooter came out again under warranty to find out why the kid’s bathroom toilet (this is the toilet on the same side of the house as the master bathroom) wouldn’t flush. This time they used the clean-outs on the front of the house which is where this toilet is located and he said that he found a blockage in the front yard. The Roto Rooter guy said he wasn’t sure what the blockage was, but that he was able to clean it out. After that we were able to use the kids’ bathroom without any problems.

9-1-09: Double sinks drain but only after filling up with water: We officially move into our newly remodeled master bathroom. There were a couple things I noticed, but I wasn’t sure if they were a big deal…first, the double sinks wouldn’t drain as the water was coming out of the faucet. The water would fill all the way up to the top of the bowl and while it was filling up little bubbles would come out from the drain, then all of a sudden, right before the water would get to the top of the sink bowl, all the water would be sucked down in a matter of seconds. Then, as soon as all that water drained, it would start to fill up again. As long as we kept the sink faucet running, this process would repeat.

I also noticed that the back of the toilet (we have a Toto Eco-Drake) was sitting at least ½ to ¾ inches off the tiled floor. They used wood shims to keep it that way and the gap is way too big for caulking.

9-22-09: Plumbing in the master bathroom stops up and nothing drains: As I was taking a shower the water in the shower started pooling and not draining. When I got out, I noticed that the tub was also filling up with water that was coming up from the drain. Then the toilet wouldn’t flush. I talked to my contractor and of course he was convinced that it was one of my kids. He said they probably put something down a drain. I told him that all the other plumbing in the house seemed to be working fine. He then said that there was definitely a blockage and that it was probably between the master bathroom and the kids bathroom and that I needed to call Roto Rooter since they “apparently†never fixed the problem from before.

Roto Rooter came out under our warranty and ran the auger from the back of the house where the new main line clean out was installed to the front of the house (connects to the kids’ toilet) and found nothing. The whole time he ran the line we had the tub filled up with water and it stayed that way. He said that the only thing he found were some feminine products that were stuck on the auger line, but other than that there was no blockage.

I then called my contractor who had his guys come out to the house. They ran their own auger and called me out to show me all the “paper and debris†that they said were coming out on the line proving that they had found the blockage. I explained that these were the same feminine products that the Roto Rooter guy found and that his opinion was that this was not the blockage. The firmly believed that it was these few feminine products that they pulled out on the line that caused the blockage and that as soon as they were done and pulled the line in then all the water would drain from the tub and the water would also start draining in the sinks rather than draining on a delay after filling up with water.

Well, the water in the tub did drain, but the problem was still there with the two sinks. Then they said that it must be the cord (or aerator?) that connects to the sink drain, because when they fiddled with it on one of the sinks, it seemed to drain, but when they fiddled with it on the other sink, it didn’t drain. Then they said that it must be the pipe fitting but after they came back from Home Depot with the new pipe fitting and installed it and other sink still didn’t drain they said that it was the float. But when I asked them why it was the float when the sink DOES in fact drain just fine and quickly after it fills all the way up with water…the response was….â€The faucet must have a manufacturer’s defectâ€.

Is there anyone out there who can diagnose what’s going on with our plumbing? Could all of these problems be related starting with the first back-up in the guest bathroom? Could faulty plumbing in the master cause problems in the rest of the house? Any thoughts?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
There's no way to diagnose anything for sure without knowing what was done. Definitely sounds like your "contractor" screwed things up and you obviously learned your lesson with contractors who don't pull permits.

You could have an honest blockage but I would suspect the contractor didn't install the underground properly. What's improper is again impossible to know as it's covered up. You might also have vent issues.

One way to get the underground looked at is to hire a plumbing contractor (my preference does not lie with Rotor Rooter) who will run a camera through as much of the system as possible. A good plumbing contractor may be able to tell you what's wrong. Additionally, if you get your underground on video make sure you get a copy on tape or DVD. Pick your plumbing contractor carefully, you may need their opinion or testimony if it comes to legal issues with your original contractor.

jdgoodman

Journeyman Plumber
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say that you have gotten yourself into a world of hurt by letting your contractor do his own plumbing. As far as your issues go it is extremely difficult to diagnose all of these problems without seeing it in person. The problems you are having could be all separate issues or one large issue. Your best bet is to find a good plumber (reed some reviews and ask friends) with a sewer camera and be prepared to spend some serious time learning the system your contractor has installed. From the sound of him he probably used all incorrect fittings and has back graded drains along with many other problems. The only way to fix this situation is to start from scratch but there is no way to know until a good plumber can spend some time and diagnose your issues. Good luck.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Pay Me now or pay Me later

I suggest You start by asking friends and neighbors for good references. After You hear the same name multiple times, BINGO:cool:

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You very likely have a legal case against the contractor. I would suggest you begin documenting everything. Yes, get a camera inspection and get 2 or 3 plumbers to give you their opinions and advise. I would also suggest you discuss this with an attorney ASAP to get his advise on the procedures you need to do. You want a solid, well documented case if and when you go to court.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I think he was schooled under the Rube Goldberg home training course, this is why the problems...

You may have to tear up everything and start over...only guessing...

Like the others said...you need a knowlageable , experienced, plumber with a camera...he may be able to tell what the problem is, maybe not...but it dosent look good from here...

Document everything...

How much $$$ did you spend on this whole project...

rube-goldberg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Referencing the attorney: There should be attorneys that specialize in construction litigation in your area.

staci

Reaction score
I agree I need to start documenting everything. Writing my initial post was the first time I put it all in writing with dates. I'm glad I did. I also agree with getting camera work done and keeping a copy on DVD. I hope we're not looking at re-doing this. To answer the question about cost...this whole remodel was about $20,000.

It's painful to say this but I don't know how likely it is that we'd ever recover anything from him. We live in Texas and the laws are not favorable for homeowners in situations like this. Plus, I don't know if I can risk losing more in attorney's fees. I'm mad at our contractor for being incompetant, misrepresenting himself and operating without a permit and doing work that only a licensed professional should do, but I'm also mad at myself for hiring him. I hope this is a lesson for people doing a remodel...I would not only check references but also the BBB, city and state agencies for complaints and any information they have on how to hire a contractor. I'd also compile a list of questions to find out if they will follow proper procedure. For instance, question number 1 should be "Will you get a permit?" If the answer is, "Do you want me to get a permit?"...that person is out the door. The second question should be, "Which part of this job will you be subing out and I need to see copies of their licenses and insurance." If the answer is, "I've been a contractor for 25+ years and I know more about [fill in the blank] than they do and the only thing they'll do for you is charge you an arm and a leg" or worse "Don't you trust me? So and so [fill in name of mutual friend] is so happy with my work and they didn't ask all these questions"...that person is out the door.

As far as whether or not he has insurance...I don't know. When I hired him, I relied on the information he told me about himself, abilities, etc. because he came highly recommended from friends and why would I insult someone who's friends with my friends by asking him insulting questions like let me see copies of your insurance??? Dumb me.

There were so many red flags in the beginning...starting with him asking ME if I wanted to get a permit or not. It wasn't until he started blasting through my concrete that I realized I was relying on him and him only to determine how to do things the right way and that there wasn't going to be any oversight or anyone checking his work. That's when I found out that had we gotten a permit the city would've conducted inspections, required him to submit paperwork on rough in sketches, etc.

By the way, I just noticed that the water level in all three of our toilets seems lower than usual. it's subtle so I don't know if anyone else would notice. It might only be 1/2 in. lower than where it normally sits in the bowl. It also seems like there's a "bathroom-y" smell in some of the bedrooms near the bathroom. Not sure if I'm just being paranoid or if this is all related.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plumbing

That is too lengthy to try to work my way through it. As far as the shower valve is concerned, it is NOT American, nor is it Standard. It is an American Standard brand, which means that may not be what it is, but what we call it. The "plumber" screwed up the connections by crossing the pipes in the wall. I am not sure about the A/S valve, but many can be reversed by pulling the cartridge and rotating it. Hot first is a good way to get someone burned by scalding.

vman235161

Reaction score
Ok, as a person who consults on plumbing sales all day everyday it sounds like you have a major problem. The others are right by saying that no one can diagnose with out actually going on site but let me tell you some red flags. The old plumbing systems were made with galvanized pipe AKA grey pipe in addition to the ventilation system. If a complete remodel is to be done than galvanized should be replaced with cast iron or PVC depending on local codes and preferences. That being said it is NOT necessary to change the grey vent pipes, they do not carry water so will not build a scale and thus can be reused for as long as you really own the home. What your "plumber" seems to have done is to cap the pipe or remove it, either way that is bad. If it is gone sometimes one can be replaced or worked in to fit but it MUST vent back to the main stack aka chimney. This is probably the surprise you were mentioning.

I think this because of the intermittent draining problem. Once the force of the water reaches a certain point it will move just enough air to release the vaccuum thereby removing the water which then rebuilds in the sink because no fresh air can come through.

In terms of American standard. They are neither american nor the standard anymore but they are a respectable plumbing manufacture. The majority of thier stuff comes from china. So you all know, for something to be installed in America IT MUST CONFORM TO USPC (Universal Plumbing Code) thereby that bs about it being European is completly fabricated. On a side note, alot of European countries , France included, use our plumbing specifications they just change the threading or the units of measurement.

They have definitely switched the hot and cold sides, you have to either reopen the wall or the cartridge is switched if that even works. If it does I would assume that the scald protection would not be working correctly.

HIRE A PRO LOL! Licensed and insured for a reason.

As a side note: Please pay attention to price, we all want to save money but I can assure that the 20k you put down could now be 25k, a price you might have paid in the beggining. Plumbing might initially seem easy and basic, it is neither, thing must be done correctly for the system to work. Too often I hear someone complain about thier toilet or tub slow draining and it has nothing to do with the fixture but the drainage and revent system.

Hope this helps.

staci

Reaction score
vman, I think you might be on to something that the "surprise" in the wall which connected to the main line that he capped off is causing all of these problems. I also just noticed that all the toilets now seem to flush with a drag too (not just the one in the master). Basically by the time the water gets to the buttom of the bowl it doesn't "woosh" but makes several big gurgles to get the water down.

The house was built in 1982 and I believe at that time only one main vent stack was required for each bathroom whereas now the plumbing code in Plano, TX is that each plumbing fixture should have its own vent stack (the old plumbing fixtures didn't have their own vent stacks I believe...just the one big one).

So, after the "what did he do with our main clean-out?" issue I thought that by installing a new main line clean-out and making the vent stack from the toilet a 3in. vent, rather than the 2in he already had going through the roof, was all that was needed. Of course, at that time, we didn't think that the sewage back-up that started in the guest bathroom had anything to do with the master...it just brought to our attention that we didn't have a main line clean-out anymore in the back of the house.

But based on your response, I'm wondering if that big vent stack which was also the access to the main line was doing more to vent our entire plumbing system and create the proper air pressure for the master bathroom and the entire house than the individual vent stacks we have now. That big vent stack that he capped off in the ground was connected directly to the main line. All of the vent stacks for the bathroom that we have now are attched to the fixtures...does that make a difference? I'm going to go outside to check to see what kinds of vent stacks we have coming through the roof for the other bathrooms.

By the way, I GLADLY would've paid an additional $5,000 to have licensed plumbers working on this job and doing it right. The only reason I hired this guy was because he came highly recommended from friends and because of that I didn't ask the questions I needed to ask and I didn't investigate like I normally would've. So, at this point I'm looking for recommendations for better friends.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Don't feel too bad. I have had fully licensed, local, trusted firms cut corners and I have had to make adjustments myself to meet code.

It seems you need a mixture of licensed, local and recommended by friends to really get a good job done here in the US. Each and every contractor I have had the pleasure of visiting me has wanted to get home early. Sometimes that meant leaving a slight leak, other times the absense of a piece of pipe from a TPR valve etc. etc. etc.

Which is just wrong and why I only learnt to DIY at the age of 34 when I arrived here. There was never a need to do remodeling work myself before that, because I had access to quality service providers.

If contractors get it wrong, they should be arrested (by the Police) or get their license revoked like in some of the more civilised States/other countries in the world. For example, I like the way that in Terry's State (Washington) they can take away your van if you are not licensed.

In your position, I would get a trusted pro to look at this and diagnose what the real problems are. It's becoming a guessing game that is only adding to your worry.

When it's all finally fixed, do what I did and learn to DIY starting with the small stuff first.

There's nothing like talking to a licensed professional when you know how you would do the job yourself. If he teaches you something you didn't know, he's probably worth hiring.

Last edited:

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Are you required to pull a permit ?
I don't know of any built up area that does NOT require permits for a job this size

If you said "No - don't pull a permit" then you are partly to blame for this mess

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have had several unscrupulous contractors discourage me from pulling a permit when quoting for a job, and even given me two prices...one with a permit and one without.

I do not see why contractors are not responsible for this. Are we still living in the Wild West?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
contractors

From your description, it appears that the Florida contractors Sum uses have migrated North. It is up to the homeowner to make sure a permit is issued, and up to the contractor to get it. Without the permit, and attendant inspections, he is dependent upon the integrity of the contractor to do the work properly. It can also devalue his property when a pre-sale inspection discovers work done without a permit, and/or done improperly. There is absolutely NO BENEFIT to the contractor to get a permit, because it can result in extra time and money to get it, extra costs during the construction, and delays waiting for the inspections.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
But I do not see why contractors can work without a permit when one is required by law, regardless of who is responsible for seeing one is applied for.

Why aren't the police rounding up plumbers and electricians in their thousands for doing work without permits?

Or am I missing something here?

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
But I do not see why contractors can work without a permit when one is required by law, regardless of who is responsible for seeing one is applied for.

Why aren't the police rounding up plumbers and electricians in their thousands for doing work without permits?

Or am I missing something here?

The police have better things to do and in most areas (I would say all but don't know for sure) working without a permit is not a criminal offense. That's one of the reasons that most areas have a code enforcement division as part of their building dept/community development office.

Many contractors do skate on permits but if they're caught in my town they lose their license work in this town. Working without a license then becomes a criminal matter.

staci

Reaction score
Well, after doing some research I think all of our problems are linked to the fact that our contractor eliminated our main Waste Stack for the house. Basically, the one he called a "surprise". After we had the sewage back-up in the guest bathroom and we realized that he removed the main-line clean-out (which was connected to that big waste stack) I thought all we needed was to re-install a clean-out and now I think it wasn't so simple.

That mainline clean out was connected to an essential component of our plumbing system....the Waste Stack. I just looked at our roof and that waste stack exited our roof with a vent that was at least 4 in. I know this because he left it in the roof even though he removed the stack. He just crushed the top but it's still there. And the way the original plumbing system was, the main line ran right through the middle of the bathroom (with branches for the plumbing fixtures) and continued right up the exterior wall through that main Waste Stack and then of course through the roof. Now it's gone. And from what I can tell, we don't have any other vents that size coming from our roof even for the other bathrooms. Now all we have for the master bathroom are vents running from each plumbing fixture (with all of their twists and turns), nothing that connects directly to the main line with a gigantic stack running up the wall and out the roof with no turns like we used to have.

So, my opinion is that the original sewage back-up in the guest bathroom, the subsequent back-up in the kids toilet and then subsequent water back-up in our new shower, tub and toilet in our master is all connected to the removal of that Waste Stack. We lived in this house a year before doing the remodel and haven't had any plumbing issues until the remodel. Also, the water in all 3 toilets is definitely lower than it used to be...still there, but lower.

Any opinions???

Also, regarding the permit, it might be a criminal matter that he did work without a permit. Based on the research I've done, operating without a permit and performing unlicensed work is common (unfortunately), but it is illegal. I wish I knew more about permits and why they're needed when I hired this guy, but I let him talk me out of it. The conversation went something like this, "Do you want to get a permit?" To which I asked, "Do I need to get a permit?". I think his position would be that I told him not to get a permit, but that's irrelevant because he could never have done the work he did without a permit. Basically, he had no right to even pose the question to me. He knew he had to get a permit, I didn't.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks