Delta tub valve not giving either pure hot or cold water

Users who are viewing this thread

jds

Reaction score
I've just installed in the Delta Cassidy Monitor 17 series tub and shower trim kit in a Delta R10000-MF rough-in valve and something's wrong with the temperature control. I can get temperatures ranging from 82°F to 91°F, but not pure cold or hot. At first I thought that I did something wrong with the hot limiter, but I've tried everything (including removing the limiter and handles and controlling everything with pliers). Then I thought that I may not have seated the cartridge fully, but I've removed, checked and re-installed everything with the same result. I have a sink on the same supply lines just a few feet away and get pure hot and cold from there (57°F on the cold and 116°F on hot), so the problem is not in the supply. Did I just get a bad cartridge or is there something else I may have done wrong here? Thanks!
-Jeff

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Check that the supply lines are in the correct spot. I once put one of those in and had the same issue. Come to find out that the old Moen valve was installed incorrectly and they flipped the cartridge over to fix it. So when I put the new valve in I assumed the hot was on the left and cold on the right as it's supposed to be.

jds

Reaction score
Thanks Plumbs. Unfortunately, that's not it. I did the rough in, so I'm sure that I put hot on the left (I also have pictures from before I closed in the walls and took a look at those to double check my memory). Just to be sure, though, I tried flipping the cartridge and still have the same limited temperature range (just with the controls in reverse)

jds

Reaction score
Update...after spending some time on the phone with Delta customer service, they think I've got a bad cartridge and are sending out a replacement. I'm pretty impressed with their service so far: only two automated menus, short hold time, friendly helpful person with an American accent. I'll post an update when I get the new cartridge.

jds

Reaction score
The new cartridge arrived today and solved the problem, so it looks like the first one was just a lemon. I'm really revealed the problem wasn't with the rough-in!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks