Cutting PVC pipe - need to get it straight

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by rrzepka, May 9, 2005.

1. RioHyde

RioHyde Plumber

Plumber
    A PVC saw, sawzall, hacksaw (no the blade isnt too flimsy), etc will work fine for cutting the PVC. An entirely "dead-nuts" straight cut, while ideal, isnt exactly necessary. Just get it close and it will be fine. Now if the cut is so crooked that only a fraction of an inch of one side of the pipe will be in the hub of the fitting while the other side of the pipe is bottomed out, well then we need "cutting lessons". If in doubt, make a wrap-around out of a piece of paper to mark the pipe or even get a band to secure to the pipe as a cutting guide. We arent talking about painting racing stripes on the space shuttle here.....lol

Good luck

2. Pewterpower

Pewterpower New Member

sales
    I'm sure someone here must have some garden pruners like mine.
    Will you please go cut a scrap of pvc with it so I don't feel so all alone in this thread???? :D

3. horzman

horzman New Member

they best way I found is using mitersaw.

4. RioHyde

RioHyde Plumber

Plumber
    You must have some big time garden pruners if you can cut 3" pvc with them Pewter. I pity the tree.......lol

5. Owen Coffin

Owen Coffin New Member

If you want to make a perfectly straight cut with a hand saw use a miter box.

6. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

Consumer