Custom Ripped Wet Wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Thomas K

Reaction score
Hi! I've hired a tile man to tile our bathroom floor and shower. I am placing a stacked washer/dryer behind the new tub in an area about 35" wide, not counting width of rear tub wall that has yet to be constructed. I am installing washer box with shutoff lever near front of wall for easy access. Code says that you're not supposed to install a 2" drain pipe in a 2 x 4" because of maximum bore size.

The way I've designed this laundry closet, and so it will be inline with plumbing in ceiling below (this is 2nd story bathroom) 2" drainpipe will be on one side of non-load-bearing wall and trap on the other. So a 2" trap arm must extend through vertical 2 x 4 framing of this wall. 2 x 6 seems like way to go, but this (with drywall thickness) would give me only about 2" space left around 27" wide stacked washer and dryer.

I'm wondering if I would be in code if I ripped a few 2 x 6s down to 4" width on my table saw.

Thanks for any replies!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
A 2x4 stud can be drilled for a 2" pipe. If you are worried about it, look up "stud shoe". I supports the stud plus it acts a nail guard. You can also scab another 2x4 next to the stud and drill a hole through both. The hole actually needs to be no less than 2 1/2".
shopping
simpson-strong-tie-metal-straps-hss2-sds1-5-64_145.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks