Control Valves won't open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Super Dave

Reaction score
Hello, I need help... We bought a house where the irrigation system had been not used/ likely broken down for many years. This was obvious by the turf overgrown over pop-up sprinklers in several areas. I have 6 zones, and 4 of them do not open/work. I am an electrician... the Toro GreenKeeper control sends power to the valve solenoids when I run the system... The solenoids retract when they receive voltage, but valves don't open... No water to sprinklers. After watching many videos and reading online, I have dismantled, cleaned, inspected diaphragms and inside of valves. Even took a piece of wire and cleared the bypass holes near the solenoid while I had the bonnet/cover off. Even when I attempt to manually start a zone by unscrewing the solenoid, no water to the zone (Yes the water is on. The shut off is right there in the box). The only way I can convince the valves to open is... while the solenoid is activated I have to turn the flow rate screw (which pushes on the middle of the diaphragm) all the way in, and then back it out a few turns... Then and only then the zone will come on. HELP

Attachments

• IMG_20190527_185002[1].jpg
    IMG_20190527_185002[1].jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 491

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The diaphragms are probably too stiff to flex. Once you get the water to flow with the flow rate screws turned and backed off, does the water shut off when the solenoids are deactivated (no power)? If they do not the diaphragms need to be replaced. I prefer valves with a bleed screw that these do not have.

Super Dave

Reaction score
The diaphragms are probably too stiff to flex. Once you get the water to flow with the flow rate screws turned and backed off, does the water shut off when the solenoids are deactivated (no power)? If they do not the diaphragms need to be replaced. I prefer valves with a bleed screw that these do not have.
Yes, the water does shut off when I deactivate the solenoids, but I think you have a good theory about the diaphragms being old and too stiff to flex easily. I am wondering if I should replace a diaphragm or two to see what happens. ???

GenesisMan

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I have Toro adjustable flow with long bleeding needle in the middle. All valves working except this one need little help when turn on, I hear the water flow thru the valve but no sprinkler pop up. After I take the bleed needle off the water spray out of the needle hole and the sprinklers start to pop up and working. I have replace the whole new Toro valve and still the same problem. What is the issue, I am puzzle??

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Not sure myself. Do you hear water noise when the solenoid is activated? Are sure you have the valve in the correct direction? There is an arrow pointing to the flow direction.

By turning the solenoid counter clockwise about a 1/2 to 3/4 turn should cause the water to flow. If not, with the water off, back out the solenoid completely and run the water a few seconds to flush the valve. Thread the solenoid on but do not make it tight, no more than finger tight and try it again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks