Cleanout required or good idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

David S

Reaction score
I first want to say thank you for all the ideas and help I’ve received here. Y’all are awesome!!! Hopefully my last question as I wrap up my build project. I built a stilt home and my 4” line runs under the home. It’s about 20 ft long from the front to the back where it will drop down to go over to the septic. I have a cleanout at the one end but I wanted to know if I should add one on the vertical drop at the back?

3E145D20-2B09-4472-8B27-C80F04FCE3EF.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I definatly would add one on the ground . Who wants to run a snake off a ladder? my code would allow just the upperterminal clean out
If its new build you put a test plug down the lower cleanout another reason. but heck want to save 15 20 bucks leave it off

Reach4

Reaction score
1. What are those 4 fittings in the 4-inch horizontal line?
2. May I assume your area floods upon occasion?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. What are those 4 fittings in the 4-inch horizontal line?
The OP can confirm, but zooming in on the photo, the side hub (on the tub) is clearly far enough away from the barrel that they are combos, and not san-tees on their back.

Cheers, Wayne

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
A clean out should be installed as follows

1- At the base of the stack soil, waste and storm

2- Any change of directions greater then 45 DEG

3- Every 100'

4- At the front of the run

David S

Reaction score
Love the responses! They are combo fittings and not San tees. Used purple primer on everything but you are correct. The last section is not glued yet! I’ll add a cleanout towards the bottom. Easy to do it now. Thank you everyone! Oh, doesn’t the new guy stand at the bottom to watch?!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I meant ground level a clean out tee on that 4 inch line.
Reality is that cleanout will only be used for things downstream of it. Which being right next to the septic tank is about never gonna get used. Anything clogged on the other end will either get snaked from a toilet, which is every drain cleaner's first move. Or they will be on a ladder/scaffold.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't see how putting a cleanout at the base is worse than not having one. Only argument is to save money or its too much work or both , and one thinks its just not worth it. If I was being lazy or really wanted to save a few bucks lets say I had 20 or 50 of these to do I MIGHT opt to not install a cleanout to keep money in my pocket

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
708.3 Where Required

Cleanouts shall be located in accordance with Sections 708.3.1 through 708.3.4.

708.3.1 Horizontal Drains Within Buildings

All horizontal drains shall be provided with cleanouts located not more than 100 feet (30 480 mm) apart.

708.3.2 Building Sewers

Building sewers shall be provided with cleanouts located not more than 100 feet (30 480 mm) apart measured from the upstream entrance of the cleanout. For building sewers 8 inches (203 mm) and larger, manholes shall be provided and located not more than 200 feet (60 960 mm) from the junction of the building drain and building sewer, at each change in direction and at intervals of not more than 400 feet (122 m) apart. Manholes and manhole covers shall be of an approved type.

708.3.3 Changes of Direction

Cleanouts shall be installed at each change of direction of the building drain or horizontal waste or soil lines greater than 45 degrees (0.79 rad) in the building sewer, building drain and horizontal waste or soil lines. Where more than one change of direction occurs in a run of piping, only one cleanout shall be required for each 40 feet (12 192 mm) of developed length of the drainage piping.

708.3.4 Base of Stack

A cleanout shall be provided at the base of each waste or soil stack.

I REST MY CASE