Cleaning with muriatic acid

Users who are viewing this thread

Brucet99

Reaction score
I need to remove uric acid scale from my Toto 1.26gpf toilets. Pool acid available nearby is 14.5% hydrochloric.

Should I plunge the toilet to remove most water, then pour in acid to normal water height so that acid gets into all passages that would have scale build up, or simply pour into filled bowl?

What dilution, if any is best? Pouring a gallon of acid into normal water level should result in about 1:1 dilution. I guess that plunging first would result in maybe three times that strength.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive done it but highly dont/ wont recomend it. had a house cleanner use a pumice I cringed worked fine and no damage that I saw I dont recomend it per say but at least its safe.
Heck no a gallon of pool acid down A toilet to me is wackey ? I guess I have too much respect for safety (though I though I was a bit of a risk taker) also the acid steam or fume takes is horrible to breath just that fume in bathroom probebly damaging

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pull the toilet and clean it. There are bruses and all types of things that can be used that will flex around the curves and get it perfectly clean.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Never use muriatic acid inside a home. The fumes can overwhelm you and burn your throat and lungs.
Get ZEP acid bowl cleaner. Home Depot has it. With a dry bowl above the water line, coat the porcelain with the bowl cleaner. Let it sit for several hours or overnight. Brush the bowl and flush. May need a second treatment. Never use a pumice stone. All it does is scratch the finish leaving it rough and causes the surface to hold on to additional staining.
If it is that bad, just replace the toilet.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The stone worked you can always throw toilet away later . I concider it last resort and was pretty pissed off that house cleanner used it but its 22 years old and works and looks good its been a year since it was stoned , had a pretty good ring around it at the water line only

Peterson

Reaction score
Pumice won't damage the toilet. You would think that it would, but it actually won't.

I'd drain all the water out of the bowl and fill it with white vinegar. Let it sit for an afternoon, and then go in with pumice stone or a scotch bright pad and scrub the living daylights out of it.

Turn the toilet off at the base and flush it. Then take the tank lid off and pour the vinegar down the overflow tube in the tank. This will allow the vinegar to go through the channels of the bowl.

Muriatic acid is a great cleaner and will make a toilet look brand new, but it is very toxic and can cause great harm if it gets in your eyes or on your skin.

Sprag

Reaction score
I decided to use vinegar to clean the holes under the toilet rim. When getting the vinegar from the store I noticed that pickling vinegar has 7% acetic acid. 2% more than regular white 5% vinegar.

Attachments

• IMG_3010.jpeg
    IMG_3010.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 119
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks