Clack Water Softener Small Crack On Neckline

Users who are viewing this thread

Tyler Pukatch

Reaction score
Hello!

Have an outside Clack water softener that was installed in Summer of 2011.

Please see viewable pics here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3OMmL31IzRHcnctY3JpbzFselU

I believe there are a few hairline cracks in the plastic ring at the top of the tank, which leads to an ever so slight leakage of water. It appears the water just "seeps" out super slowly... it does not ever look like it is "running" out. It doesn't seem to be seeping out as much recently. Maybe just because it is "hotter" now and the seepage evaporates quickly.

The top layer of the "laminate" on that side of the tank appears to have peeled slightly (as demonstrated in pics).

I think the plastic ring (which I understand also extends down into the tank? this is the "distributor basket?") got torqued a bit as the ground beneath the softener shifted over the years.

Plumber says it's out of warranty. Current dating would in fact put the tank right out of the usual five year mark for warranty (Summer 2011 until Spring 2017).

Currently, the softener is still working fine, and has worked fine for the last five years. This leads me to believe that it was not necessarily a faulty installation.

After reading a lot of posts online (and several in these forums), I may just put some epoxy on the ring to try and stop the seepage and ride out the softener as long as I can.

Anywho, any help and/or advice would be much appreciated!!

Thank you!!

Ty

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The tank neck is cracked and since Wave Cyber / Clack do not tend to warrant UV damage... you will need to buy a new tank to repair this. Don't bother trying to epoxy it or repair it, it will simply leak again. A new tank is fairly cheap and easy to replace. Your valve must also have an outdoor cover... without that (too late) the valve does not have a warranty either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks