City Water Backing Up in Alleyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
hi,

I posted another thread on an enclosed alleyway that backups on very fast heavy downpour. I got a lot of suggestions on the cause of it. I think i figured it out. The drainage pipe you can see clear white PVC and during steady rains there is no drainage issues. Only when the rain is flash flood level and is heavy and fast the water actually shoots like a fountain out of the drainpipe. That tells me the out of date storm draininage system (could be close to 100 years old) can't handle the water. What I have done is taken a small plastic stool and put a sockitbox on top of it. I dropped an extension cord into the sockitbox and hooked up a small 1/2 hp pool cover pump (submersible with auto shutoff) to a garden hose out of the alley way. I tested the setup and it worked. However I think its jerry rigged together but I think any other solution would cost some bucks so I am willing to listen to any suggestions.

Reaction score
Picture attached is a plastic stool with sockit box on top of it. There is an extension cord dropping to the sockit box. The pump has a garden hose running up and over the fence to the backyard. The vertical is about 15 feet. Any alternative suggestions would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_0719 2.JPG
    IMG_0719 2.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 142

Reach4

Reaction score
If the water coming up was clean, I would think that water is from your gutters rather than from the city sewer.

Reaction score
Reach4 you are the man! Appreciate it. That makes great sense. The water when it was pooling up did not have a stench or stain to it. It was clean as you said. We have a flat roof with a pitch to the back corner and there is one large PVC pipe running on the corner of the building and it goes to the ground right behind the fence where I was running the water line out. That must then be connected to the alley way piping. Makes perfect sense that in flash flood the system can't handle the volume. I will take water from our roof any day over backed city line!!!!

Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks