Choice of electric boiler for DHW and infloor heat

Users who are viewing this thread

orange_cat

Reaction score
I am looking for an electric boiler to supply heat to in-floor low temp water-based hydronic heat (58,000 BTU heat load - 2,400 square fee). I also need a source for domestic hot water.

Combomax 50 @20kw by Thermo2000 seems to be too weak on the DHW side.
Thermolec or Electric industries 20Kw models (60,000+ BTU) are the current options on the table. I understand they require some kind o storage tank and a heat exchanger - what which storage tanks?

Any advice? Can a 20Kw boiler supply both or should i look for separate in-floor heat source and separate DHW?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am looking for an electric boiler to supply heat to in-floor low temp water-based hydronic heat (58,000 BTU heat load - 2,400 square fee). I also need a source for domestic hot water.

Combomax 50 @20kw by Thermo2000 seems to be too weak on the DHW side.
Thermolec or Electric industries 20Kw models (60,000+ BTU) are the current options on the table. I understand they require some kind o storage tank and a heat exchanger - what which storage tanks?

Any advice? Can a 20Kw boiler supply both or should i look for separate in-floor heat source and separate DHW?
We don't really use electric boilers here in the US. Alot of people choose to keep their domestic water seperate from their heating needs. A normal electric water heater should be fine.

orange_cat

Reaction score
In an all-electric house somehow I can only use electric water heater or electric boilers. If I only have 20Kw to spare - what options do I have?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
What I'm saying is for your domestic water any tank water heater should be fine.

I doubt anyone here is gonna have a recommendation for you considering we don't use electric boilers. There are plenty available it's just not a common thing we use. I would try a local plumbing or hvac supply store and ask what they can sell you and have parts for.

Fitter30

Reaction score
A boiler that is only over sized 10200 btu's probably isn't large enough for dhw. For someone to size dhw would need to know max gpm and coldest incoming water temp for recovery. Other concern dhw and radiate heat run at two different temps especially if any hardwood flooring is used. Canada has both 50/60 hz power and 230 vac instead of 240vac both will derate btu output.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks