Ceiling Leak - hole in copper pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I noticed water dripping from the ceiling so I sawed out some drywall and found the source. It looks as though a metal bracket used to support the copper pipe rusted through and caused the pipe to rupture. How should I fix this?

ceiling-pipe.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
- Shut the main.
- Remove the rusty strap.
- Cut the copper pipe a few inches to the right of the rusty area and a few inches to the left. Clean/sand/flux the edges on the old pipe.
- Get 2 couplings (one with stop and one without stop). Clean/sand/flux them.
- Get a piece of pipe with the same diameter as the old pipe, and cut to the right size. Clean/sand/flux the edges.
- Solder the coupling with stop to one end of the piece of copper pipe, and wipe off the excess. Make sure you have a spray water bottle with you, just in case.
- Slip the coupling without stop on the other end, all the way.
- Place the new pipe in line with the old pipe and insert the one end with the coupling with stop into the old pipe.
- Align the other end and slip the coupling without stop about half the length of the coupling, over the edge of the old pipe.
- Solder and wipe clean.
- Attach a new strap to support the pipe - I like to use copper strap.

Reaction score
I followed your instructions and soldered the joints. But now there is no water coming out of my kitchen tap.

Why is there no water coming through the pipe to the kitchen sink?!

The good news is there are NO leaks at the solder joints.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I followed your instructions and soldered the joints. But now there is no water coming out of my kitchen tap.

Why is there no water coming through the pipe to the kitchen sink?!
I think you are saying that neither hot nor cold water comes on.
  1. You forgot to turn the water back on?
  2. Your aerator is clogged?
Does water in the bathroom come out normally?

Reaction score
I turned the water back on full. The water in the bathroom comes on normally.

There isn't any aerator on the kitchen tap. There's just a small trickle of water coming from the kitchen tap.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Turn the angle stop off under the sink and disconnect the supply line from the faucet. Take the end of the supply line and put it in a bucket then turn the angle stop on. If the water pressure is good then theirs a clog in the faucet if the water pressure is bad then you'll have to take the angle stop apart.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks