Users who are viewing this thread

ajmckay2

Reaction score
Greetings! My main floor toilet leaked on me the other day (basement bathroom is directly below). The issue is the flange was not attached to anything. The previous remodeler decided to cut a hole in the floor and not attach the toilet to anything except the cast iron pipe below it (with at least a 1" gap needing 2 wax rings stacked).

The solution was simple enough. Fix the hole in the floor and run a new PVC drain. I'm not a plumber so I'm just sharing this as more of a "look what I did", NOT a "this is how to do it". I'll let the pictures speak for themselves lol.

Old (problem) setup

20191230_150648 by aaron M, on Flickr

20191229_221821 by aaron M, on Flickr

Process of removing the old pipe
1) Drilled 1/4" holes along 1/2 the perimeter of the joint
2) Connected the circles with a small wood chisel that I didn't care about
3) wiggle the pipe loose until it came out and I could peel the rest of the lead out

20191230_164825 by aaron M, on Flickr

20191230_172848 by aaron M, on Flickr

20191230_174706 by aaron M, on Flickr

Made a funny shaped wood plug to bring up the flange so it would sit at finished floor height.

20191231_120350 by aaron M, on Flickr

Finally, installed the new PVC drain using a 3x3 rubber donut to interface with the iron hub. Went with 3" long sweep vs. using a 4x3 closet bend because of the height needed here and I wanted as much wood as possible under the flange to support it.

20191231_171041 by aaron M, on Flickr

It was a pain, but doable. The trickiest part was making sure not to create lead dust. Wore a good respirator (p100 rated) and cleaned the area thoroughly using a HEPA filter equipped vacuum (then washed the vacuum and replaced the filter).

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks