Cast Iron Long Sweep

Users who are viewing this thread

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm starting to do some cast iron DWV plumbing, and I'm wondering what the cast iron long sweep is used for? The short sweep already has sweep matching that of an 1/8 bend, so per UPC 706.1 it should be adequate for any change of direction.

Also, UPC 706.1 generally requires a fitting of sweep at least that of the 1/8 bend for a change of direction, but UPC 706.2 allows a lesser sweep fitting, the sanitary tee, for joining a horizontal drain line to a vertical sack. Does this mean that for the special case of transitioning a drain line (that already has been vented) from horizontal to vertical, a regular 1/4 bend (whose sweep matches that of the sanitary tee) is allowed? I.e. is 706.2 implicitly modifying 706.1 to allow the lesser sweep in this one case?

Thanks,
Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks