Can't get dishwasher air gap to stop leaking - help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wellwaternoob

Reaction score
As the title states, I recently got new countertops and installed a new air gap.

Previously, the air gap was a copper pipe all the way through the counter. I cut that pipe and replaced it with a plastic air gap, and black hose in the picture.

The other change was that the pipe coming down from the air gap (the larger one) was also a copper pipe that went into its own P trap. I eliminated the second P trap and am running a dishwasher hose from the air gap down to the garbage disposal.

I removed the plug from the disposal and confirmed there's no blockages. I also tried various loops, including holding the slack outside the cabinet at the level where it should drain fine.

Water continues to spew from the air gap tube, no matter what I try. It's like there's a severe air lock or something, but I can't figure it out. Any ideas? I'm desperately looking for ideas.

I included a picture of how the old air gap was, for reference. The P trap that it drained into needed to be removed due to the garbage disposal being in the way.

Attachments

• PXL_20230809_202039418.jpg
    PXL_20230809_202039418.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 125
  • PXL_20230803_024038440.jpg
    PXL_20230803_024038440.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 138

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Does the dishwasher pipe feed the smaller line on the air gap, and the bigger one feeds the disposal?

2. Is the leak at the air gap small, or is it really spewing out?

Wellwaternoob

Reaction score
1. Does the dishwasher pipe feed the smaller line on the air gap, and the bigger one feeds the disposal?

2. Is the leak at the air gap small, or is it really spewing out?
1. The pipe coming through the cabinet is the drain line from the dishwasher, that goes up to the smaller line on the air gap. The larger diameter side of the air gap is going down to the disposal.

2. The leak is a fountain. Leak is an understatement. Seems like it's air locked somehow, but I can't figure out how. I even tried holding up the slack in the pipe that goes from the air gap to the dishwasher, and didn't seem to be a change.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could disconnect the line from the disposal, and feed it into a bucket. Have the dishwasher discharge, and see if that flows freely.

You could also post a top view of the place where the drain line enters the disposal and the output end of the gray hose. Aren't those connections usually straight, rather than right-angled?

Also, blow on the removed line to make sure air flows freely.

Had the air gap only leaked a modest amount, I would hope shortening the hose would help. But you have a gusher, so it is not just a little extra backpressure I presume.

Air lock? I don't see that, but you could open the stopper on the disposal input, if you have not already tried that.

other than that, you could consider replacing the air gap. I don't know what flaw in the air gap, other than a clogged output, but at that point you would seem to have eliminated everything else. I am not a pro.

Wellwaternoob

Reaction score
You could disconnect the line from the disposal, and feed it into a bucket. Have the dishwasher discharge, and see if that flows freely.

You could also post a top view of the place where the drain line enters the disposal and the output end of the gray hose. Aren't those connections usually straight, rather than right-angled?

Also, blow on the removed line to make sure air flows freely.

Had the air gap only leaked a modest amount, I would hope shortening the hose would help. But you have a gusher, so it is not just a little extra backpressure I presume.

Air lock? I don't see that, but you could open the stopper on the disposal input, if you have not already tried that.

other than that, you could consider replacing the air gap. I don't know what flaw in the air gap, other than a clogged output, but at that point you would seem to have eliminated everything else. I am not a pro.
I think you're on to something with the angled fitting that enters the disposal! That's quite literally the only thing that I can think of.

I'm guessing that end is intended to be attached to the dishwasher drain hose, and I've effectively got it reversed. I should've tried removing it and putting it in a bucket while working on it earlier, but didn't even think of that being a potential issue. I'll give it a try when I next have time to work on it.

I'm attaching a picture of the fitting, in case anyone else can chime in and confirm what I'm doing here is bad. Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20230809_231356358.jpg
    PXL_20230809_231356358.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 125

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
The hose from the air gap to the disposer should not have a dip in it, because that section is gravity flow, not pumped flow. Shorten the hose so that it slopes down to the disposer. It should also have a straight connection to the disposer, not the 90 that is there now. If it needs the 90, point it up, again so that gravity can work.

Wellwaternoob

Reaction score
The hose from the air gap to the disposer should not have a dip in it, because that section is gravity flow, not pumped flow. Shorten the hose so that it slopes down to the disposer. It should also have a straight connection to the disposer, not the 90 that is there now. If it needs the 90, point it up, again so that gravity can work.
I did try lifting the entire hose up above the level of the disposal drain entry while running the dishwasher but that didn't solve it. However it had multiple loops in it and maybe there was still a slight dip that I didn't notice.

I'll probably just end up using a different hose, since I don't think this one is really meant to be not hooked up directly to the dishwasher. Really hoping that by using a shorter hose and a straight connection, to the disposal, the thing drains properly.

Wellwaternoob

Reaction score
you forgot to knock out the plug in disposal .
Unfortunately not, I took the plug out.

I'm thinking/hoping the issue is the combination of the from the air gap to disposal being too long, and entering the disposal with a 90 degree turn. Haven't gotten a chance to test it out yet.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
hose diametor too small on gravity drain side of airgap. I cant figure out where its even leaking You must mean at the counter top around the chrome cover?? continualy leaking really 24 /7 even when dish washer isnt on.
you are on to something restriction in hose will cause it to leak but only when dishwasher is on not continualy

Wellwaternoob

Reaction score
hose diametor too small on gravity drain side of airgap. I cant figure out where its even leaking You must mean at the counter top around the chrome cover?? continualy leaking really 24 /7 even when dish washer isnt on.
you are on to something restriction in hose will cause it to leak but only when dishwasher is on not continualy
Yeah it's spewing from the actual air gap piece that protrudes through the counter. It only spews when the dishwasher is draining. I'm pretty sure the issue is with the length/height of the hose and the 90 degree fitting on the disposal side. Now I just need to get back home to fix it!

Wellwaternoob

Reaction score
Update for anyone who may encounter this issue in the future:

The resolution was a shorter hose and without the 90 degree end. Drains just fine now!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
corrugated hose is horrible for gravity drain use 7/8 inch rubber d/w hose I didnt catch that those bumps in the hose probebly caused restriction in flow i didnt think of that till now first time I saw that o9n the gravity side

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks