Can I clean evaporator coil from outflow side?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gerald Lee

Reaction score
I have a 2-year old Lennox sealed inside coil, and when I went to clean it it is sealed (unlike my last home's coil which was easy to reach for cleaning).
My question is, can I foam spray it from the outlet side? Would that be almost effective as cleaning from the inlet side, especially if it's not to dirty and will be done each year?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Does the air handler sit on a wooded box with the bottom cut out for the air flow? If your return air grate or filter grate is below the unit and on the wall, removing it should give you access to the underside of the coils. Just check that it is a non rinsing type of coil cleaner where the condensate would eventually rinse the cleaner away.

Jorgebaloy

Reaction score
I have a 2-year old Lennox sealed inside coil, and when I went to clean it it is sealed (unlike my last home's coil which was easy to reach for cleaning).
My question is, can I foam spray it from the outlet side? Would that be almost effective as cleaning from the inlet side, especially if it's not to dirty and will be done each year?

Warmth in household air drawn over the cold surfaces of the evaporator coil is absorbed by refrigerant vapor circulating through the coil. Anything that comes between the transfer of heat energy in the air into the refrigerant inside the coil decreases efficiency of the cooling process. What could get in the way? Even a thin coating of dust on coil surfaces produces a measurable drop in heat absorbed by the refrigerant. Installed inside the air handler, directly in the path of circulating air, the evaporator is perfectly positioned to accumulate dust, dirt and a variety of other airborne particulates picked up throughout the house.

Sealed inside the air handler installed in the HVAC closet or up in the attic, the evaporator coil is not readily accessible to the average homeowner and its condition is rarely checked. When symptoms suggest dirty evaporator coils and an inspection by a professional confirms it, the cleaning process conducted by an HVAC technician is painstaking but thorough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks