Brass or Stainless nipple?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chet S.

Reaction score
Instead of a dielectric union many say a 6 inch brass nipple works. Since stainless is about the same price would it it be better than brass?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
brass nipple your good 6 inch or longer I've gone 4 inch but 6 is definitely the standard you want usually

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The good thing about stainless is that it isn't as likley to crush. The bad thing about stainless it it leaks and can gawl. I'd go brass even if you crush it trying to get it out one day, it isn't like they are hard to find or crazy expensive.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Stainless fittings need nickel teflon tape and when tighting stops wait 30 - 60 seconds and you will get some turn. Fitting when tighting threads expand then cools off.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Stainless fittings need nickel teflon tape and when tighting stops wait 30 - 60 seconds and you will get some turn. Fitting when tighting threads expand then cools off.
Is that true just for stainless - stainless threaded joints, or also stainless - brass joints? And for the latter, does it matter which side is stainless (male or female)?

Thanks,
Wayne

Fitter30

Reaction score
As long as stainless is involved one side or the other the stainless will heat up. Ill still use tape preferred or anaerobic dope. Still wait for joint to cool down. Nickel is a lube.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
We always tape everything (npt) male, and dope on Male threads also. With stainless we dope the female threads along with the Male.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Brass nipples rule.... they can last well over 30 years and still look almost as good as a new one...

we use them all the time for the thermal expansion tanks on top of a water heater.... they should last
forever and much longer than the water heater..... I use blue monster Teflon tape and pipe dope on every joint..

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Brass nipples rule.... they can last well over 30 years and still look almost as good as a new one...

we use them all the time for the thermal expansion tanks on top of a water heater.... they should last
forever and much longer than the water heater..... I use blue monster Teflon tape and pipe dope on every joint..
I like all that too ! The blue monster is great even though I often still use white regular tape with dope . brass for water work

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks