Branch off and rejoin a water supply line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Will try to explain in words but also took pictures and sketched up my idea.

Remodeling. Adding a second bathtub/shower with secondary rainfall showerhead. (So, bathtub faucet, regular showerhead and an overhead/ceiling rainfall showerhead).

Looking at the scope of the project I decided to run ¾" pipes to the new bathtub faucet then do a tee with ½" to the two showerheads.

Cold water supply is ¾" most of the way, so not a huge issue branching off of that. But... the hot water heater's inlet gets reduced to ½" right before the inlet and the outlet is a ½", and the rest of the house's hot water is ½". I have a relatively small house so i can understand why they did that but now that I'm adding another fixture it is time to move it to ¾".

20210620_185517.jpg

The main hot water branch is pretty inaccessible to try cut and rework the current lines to put in some ¾" x ½"x ¾" tees to the current x lines.

After researching a bit and thinking of ways to tackle this I thought that the easiest things to do, if these are even possibilities (I cannot find it online (maybe it's my lack of plumbing terminology)), would be to:
1.) Change the hot water heater to ¾" inlet and outlet.
2.) Put a ¾" x ¾" x ½" tee right at the water heater's outlet.
And from here either:
3a.) Just run a ¾" line from the new branch to the new shower. (Would the "Balance" be messed up if someone else uses a faucet from the original ½" supply?) OR
3b.) (Sketched a diagram below) Run a new ¾" hot water line parallel to the ½" line, add the ¾" tee to the new shower, and later down the line tee to a ½" x ¾" x ½" and join them back together. (Extra hot water being used/wasted, yes, but maybe better then the former for balance?)
3c.) (Sketched a diagram below) similar to above but cap off the ½" line at/near the water heater, run the ¾" pipe parallel as the main supply for the feed, and join them back together where it is easy to access.

20210620_194823.jpg

Ideally, I know I should rip out the walls and ceilings to just have one ¾" supply with everything feeding from it, but... Do I have to rip it all out? Does one of my shortcut ideas work?

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
I am not a plumber, but I was faced with something similar in a 100 year old house I co-own with my grandson. I did as you have suggested in your 1, 2, and 3a scenario, and it works well.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
3/4 pipe can carry about 3x the volume that a 1/2 pipe carries.
Interesting question, depends on the exact ID of the type of pipe. For copper type L, I get 2.5x the flow rate for a given pressure drop.

[Hazen Williams formula has flow Q to the 1.85 power and diameter d to the 4.87. The diameter ratio is 0.745/0.527; raising that to the (4.87/1.85) power gives 2.5.]

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It probably works ok, but its a substandard plumbing job. As long as you know that and it doesn't bug you no big deal . No emergency though

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks