Braided flexible hose connector nomenclature

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by don87, Jan 17, 2021.

1. don87

don87 New Member

I have a ½” supply valve but the 30” braided flexible hose I have has a 3/8” FIP connector . So how do I describe the adapter I need?

I assume I need a 3/8” MIP to ½” xxx adapter. What is the proper nomenclature for the ½” side that connects to the supply valve. That ½” side needs a rubber washer.

BTW, the braided hose is for a simple cold water bidet and the bidet end connector looks non-standard so changing the flexible hose is not an option.

Thanks,

Edit: I just realized that I could use a standard 1/2 FIP to 3/8" MIP adapter. Although it needs to be chrome. Anyway, I still would like to know the nomenclature for braided flex hose connectors.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Does literature that came with the bidet say that it is 3/8 fip? Is there a gasket in there? A 3/8 compression connector would be much more common.

On the valve, similar question. If that is not a nice 1/4 turn valve, you may be better off replacing the valve anyway. The mini ball valves are more reliable than the old multi-turn valves.

Do you have a digital caliper to measure stuff?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
  5. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

How about you try screwing it on? Because the supply coming out the floor or wall can be any number of different sizes . most likely 1/2 inch IPS or 3/8 compression , but could be 1/2 inch compression. then do same thing on bidet that too likely the same size 1/2 IPS or 3/8 compression. Wouldn't be surprised to see 3/8 IPS but doubt it .
    Buying a few different sizes and returning what you don't need if your not in the boonies