boiler won't stay lit

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr. B

Reaction score
I have a single loop boiler. I think its about 40 years old and it won't stay lit. I replaced the thermocoupler many times. The new thermocoupler would last from days to weeks before the boiler would go out again. This happens in any weather conditions, Cold, not so cold, windy, calm. The flame is covering the themocoupler pretty well, but I can't turn up the pilot any more. Any Ideas?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Just a wild guess here:

Maybe the valve has gone bad or has in some way become sticky or tempermental in conjunction with its age -- I sometimes have that kind of problem -- and now only works properly for a little while after being "disturbed" a bit each time you replace a thermocouple?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
T'couple

A thermocouple is a precise device. If it does not get hot enough it does not maintain the pilot correctly, BUT, if it gets too hot, or the flame is not at the correct point it will also turn the pilot off. It may be that you have to reduce the pilot, not increase it. There is no way to tell without an instrument to measure the t'couple's output as it gets hot and stays hot. But if you are burning up thermocouples it would appear to indicate that they are being overheated, otherwise they last for years, and sometimes decades.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks