Bevel OD of PVC? DWV question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by DIY_Novice, Oct 22, 2021.

1. DIY_Novice

DIY_Novice New Member

I'm cutting my PVC with a miter saw and getting a perfect cut with sharp edges, no burrs whatsoever. I'm taking a reamer to the inside just because I have one but I don't have an O.D. reamer. Hitting it with sand paper seems to make it quite rough.

Do I need to go out and buy the rigid inside/outside deburring tool for 60 bucks? The cut leaves zero burrs but I'm unsure if a bevel on the OD is necessary. Situation: DMW lines in bathroom vanity - intending to use primer and glue per normal.

edit: 1-1/2" sched 40

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  2. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    I normally put a chamfer on the outside with a file on 3" and bigger because it gets harder to insert the pipe into the fittings. But that's mostly for pressure pipe, you might get away without any chamfer on drainage pipe because your using a saw, when you use pipe cutters it creates a small bulge in the pipe on the cut line which makes it harder to insert the pipe in a fitting.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    Jeff H Young likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Jeff H Young likes this.
  4. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

For a little bevel, you can take a utility knife and run it around the outside of the pipe (I typically rotate the pipe rather than the blade), with the blade edge at a 45 to the axis of the pipe.

Cheers, Wayne

5. John Gayewski

John Gayewski In the Trades

I do like my I.D/ O.D. reamer. But it's not "necessary". I use it when I have the time and feel like I need to be exact with nut measurements. It seems to help get the pipe to seat fully into the hub.

Jeff H Young likes this.
  6. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

It doesn't need a bevel but the spec is deburr inside , outside as others mentioned can deform outward and I'll sometimes take a hand file knock off corner I feel if its too tight it leaves zero space for glue and the extra step improves quality and workmanship, but I don't do this on every joint in all cases , but feel at times it can be important. Oh and heck no DIY novice don't spend 60 bucks. if you'll be doing copper a pencil reamer is good and might have other uses around house or plumbing or a knife just for the ID on plastic, for general use a course file is good to have on hand or just some rough sand paper on the end.