Bevel OD of PVC? DWV question

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY_Novice

Reaction score
I'm cutting my PVC with a miter saw and getting a perfect cut with sharp edges, no burrs whatsoever. I'm taking a reamer to the inside just because I have one but I don't have an O.D. reamer. Hitting it with sand paper seems to make it quite rough.

Do I need to go out and buy the rigid inside/outside deburring tool for 60 bucks? The cut leaves zero burrs but I'm unsure if a bevel on the OD is necessary. Situation: DMW lines in bathroom vanity - intending to use primer and glue per normal.

edit: 1-1/2" sched 40

Last edited:

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I normally put a chamfer on the outside with a file on 3" and bigger because it gets harder to insert the pipe into the fittings. But that's mostly for pressure pipe, you might get away without any chamfer on drainage pipe because your using a saw, when you use pipe cutters it creates a small bulge in the pipe on the cut line which makes it harder to insert the pipe in a fitting.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
For a little bevel, you can take a utility knife and run it around the outside of the pipe (I typically rotate the pipe rather than the blade), with the blade edge at a 45 to the axis of the pipe.

Cheers, Wayne

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I do like my I.D/ O.D. reamer. But it's not "necessary". I use it when I have the time and feel like I need to be exact with nut measurements. It seems to help get the pipe to seat fully into the hub.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It doesn't need a bevel but the spec is deburr inside , outside as others mentioned can deform outward and I'll sometimes take a hand file knock off corner I feel if its too tight it leaves zero space for glue and the extra step improves quality and workmanship, but I don't do this on every joint in all cases , but feel at times it can be important. Oh and heck no DIY novice don't spend 60 bucks. if you'll be doing copper a pencil reamer is good and might have other uses around house or plumbing or a knife just for the ID on plastic, for general use a course file is good to have on hand or just some rough sand paper on the end.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks