Best tank water heater-standard 40 gallon natural gas

Users who are viewing this thread

Onokai

Reaction score
I have a Rheem fury 40 gallon 60 inch tall about 21 inch diameter water heater about 12 years old still working fine (had to replace control valve a few years ago). Its well insulated. Its hooked to a rheem solaraid 80 gallon tank which is getting fed by two 4x8 solar panels on roof as well as some extra solar electric power when I have extra to spare. I have a spareRheem solaraid 80 gallon tank now
The 40 gallon natural gas heater is also hooked to a Grunfus smart recirculator pump on the drain valve for a whole house instant hot water system.
So the tank is past its due date (we have super water and never does a thing come out when flushing any tanks)
I'm thinking another standard Rheem 40 gallon but there are other brands out there. The warranty seems to be on the better anodes -I can order a 9 year performance or even a 12 year performance Rheem.
Are there better tanks around The whole water syatem is ina attached to house shed with cool outside air so a heat pump unit makes no sense -I'm on a well as well and ad calcite to the water in towe tanks as well as run it thru two whole house filters before it gets to the tanks so its loaded with goodness and is clean. I usually get up to 15 plus years per tank (the solaraide tank went over 20) I have been here for 50 years now
whats a better tank these days AO smith Bradford white? I know Rheen had some valve issue a while ago. I'm in the shopping for spare tank mode now.I live in the sticks so its drive out of dodge or order online for any other than a Rheem as our local wholesaler supplier only has Rheems.
tell me a better heater story . I'm not looking for any instant hot water one just an 40 gallon for two of us in the house so I can hook up the recirculator and 80 gallon and be on my way. Same size is best fit but can vary some.
I better insulated tank is best.I'm not in a Nox area so thats not an issue in my extreme North Califonia location.I do have electic power to spare during about 8 months of year with solar electric system.I use a lot of natural gas with a few gas kilns so that my choice of fuel.

WorthFlorida

6th clinical trail chemotherapy 5/15/24
Solutions
Reaction score
I personally do not think longer warranty period means a better or longer lasting tank. Since we only have what the manufacture states in the specifications it's a hard call to make. It does seem Bradford White is the best but they are only sold to licensed plumbers or contractors. I just replaced my 15 year old electric AO Smith Pro demanded by my homeowners insurance company that had no leaks and no issues. I purchased a A O Smith Proline from Ferguson Supply with a six year warranty.

AO Smith sells to Lowes as the Signature Series for about $30 less and there is no way to tell if these are lesser or the same than the Proline. The Proline does have a brass drain valve as compared to a plastic one on the Signature series. The Anode rod maybe a larger size? Only the man working at the factory that glazes the interior of the tank and fire them in the kiln knows. The brochure for the Proline mentions BLUE DIAMOND® GLASS COATING where as the Signature series makes no mention of it.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I find overall any WH that a supply house stocks is good enough in the name brands. Pretty much same manufacturing on the tank and same crappy new electronic gas control valves. All similar pain in the butt pilot assemblies.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its sort of a funny situation. People ask which are the best.. But the only real way to know is to see which last the longest.. in which case all you know is which were the best. I'm with Breplum in this situation. Name brand manufacturers

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Best tank heater, buy an unused State heater made circa 1980, I was removing State 6 yr warranty heaters as recently as 10 years ago that were 30 years old, manufacturers stopped making them to last, there's no profit in long lasting products.

Clog

Reaction score
1989 Reliance 501 still heating water without leaks for coming up on 34 years.