Best kind of chlorine filter to use

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
The city of Indianapolis has over the past few years increased the level of chlorine and chlorimines in their water systems....

this is wreaking hell with the common types of water conditioners that have been sold in this city for the past 20 years... They used to last about 20 years but now due to the high chlorine and chlormine levels of the water they are swelling up and failing in less than 5 years..

I had one today that was swelled up from Aqua-systems and it was only about 4 years old. this unit came with a 7 year parts and labor warranty so this company is gonna take it in the ass on this unit and probably on thousands of other units they have been selling for the past 7 years....

I am presently installing a #10 chlorine resistant mineral bed in my units with a clack control ..... I am assuming this unit will last longer than the weaker mineral beds you that are out in the city.....

From this point on I am gonna offer an chlorine remover installed before the water softener to remove the harmful chlorines and other contanimants from the water to help inncrease the life of the water softener.....

With all that said, what is the best route to go with a chlorine remover.....???

Here is a picture of a #8 mineral bed that is commonly used in our area which has
swelled up and ruined the distributor inside... it is so tightly packed that you cannot
remove the tube from the unit and it is less than 5 years old.....
https://photos.app.goo.gl/z3MOymRHMYnDOGhf2

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Probably not 8% resin. There is some real cheap junk resin available from resin manufacturers. This garbage grade resin should only be used in non regenerated applications like disposable filter cartridges. This junk is as cheap as$10 per c.f.. Even the smallest amounts of chlorine will destroy this resin very quickly. Many companies use it in their softeners in order to have the lowest price.

A carbon tank will help extend the life of junk resin but this damage will still occur. This low grade resin should not be used but... This is what happens when assembly companies focus solely on price.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Since you are asking about Chlorine or Chloramine reduction, then a backwashing carbon filter containing Catalytic Carbon is appropriate for Chloramine.

While catalytic carbon would also work for reducing Chlorine, Chlorine is not as difficult to remove so most often a Granular Activated Carbon (GAC) backwashing filter is used as GAC is less expensive than CC.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks