Because I just have to do things oddly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Layla-Gail O'Brien

Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
*Storytime* :D
For my family; I manage a 38-acre, private, saltwater lake property on the Intercoast of Texas with fishing & camping for a membership fee. Except, people don't want to come camping because we don't have a proper 'Bath House' just an accessible 1/2-bath restroom.

I looked into renovating our "clubhouse" thinking; 'Surely we can do a full restroom & include a shower... campers will be so happy! But permitting said I have to raise the building 8-10ft (more than the 5-6ft it is already) & build-out to commercial standards...which is WAY too expensive for us! Apparently, we're at a ground elevation of around 6'AMSL, the base flood elevation here is 20'AMSL, so nothing can be constructed below that point.

Last season, I plumbed-up a couple 'cold-water only' outdoor showers. They're awesome... when it's 5th level of Dante's inferno outside. I can't imagine why nobody WANTS a cold shower, in front of God & everybody, as the ONLY bathing option for a weekend camping trip (sarcasm); but they certainly don't when it's 45 degrees, gusty winds & a water temperature 0f +/-50 degrees...or when it raining, or once mosquito season is underway.

So, thinking outside the box, I'm trying to build a portable restroom/shower house on an RV trailer frame to 'work around' the elevation & commercial requirements. My design has three full baths with showers, one being accessible, & two 1/2-baths on a 10'x22' trailer platform with Two tankless propane water heaters for the shower stalls. Because it's on a trailer & can be moved, it doesn't have to meet elevation requirements. My problem is, I only have about 24" of ground clearance to work with for my DWV systems & part of that is obstructed by the trailer frame...oh, and I'm doing a greywater system for the shower & lavatory sink to minimize the water that goes into the portable blackwater tank for storage & dumping...& I'm limited to 14' by in height restrictions to remain legally portable (I already have "wide-load" permitting covered).

My question is: Where can I find the actual measurements of plumbing fittings in order to calculate accurate space requirements? Can I use fittings that may not (actually) pass muster, code-wise, but will still FUNCTION as far as the systems are concerned? And; what's the MINIMUM height that vents need above a roofline?

Long story; short questions...LOL Thanks in advance!

Reach4

Reaction score
My question is: Where can I find the actual measurements of plumbing fittings in order to calculate accurate space requirements?
I suspect you mean fixtures. The minimum for a house is that the toilet needs at least 15 inches of free space to the left and right of the mid-line. That is not affected by the actual toilet size. Most extended toilets extend about 29 or 30 inches from the wall.

An alternative may be a shower room that will float in the event of a flood. https://www.greenmatters.com/home/2018/01/04/ML8rn/engineers-have-developed-a-system-to-make-houses-float-during-flooding

Your trailer idea is probably a lot easier. Try this in a search engine search: shower trailer

Layla-Gail O'Brien

Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
I suspect you mean fixtures. The minimum for a house is that the toilet needs at least 15 inches of free space to the left and right of the mid-line. That is not affected by the actual toilet size. Most extended toilets extend about 29 or 30 inches from the wall.

An alternative may be a shower room that will float in the event of a flood. https://www.greenmatters.com/home/2018/01/04/ML8rn/engineers-have-developed-a-system-to-make-houses-float-during-flooding

Your trailer idea is probably a lot easier. Try this in a search engine search: shower trailer

I actually looked at shower trailers for my inspiration...do you know those things cost about $60K? I also thought about the floating idea, but I'd still have to pump holding tanks, water sourcing would be a problem & a leak could devastate our estuary lake!
As far as sizes, I actually want the sizes for fittings (e.g. a long sweep, cross-Tee)...if a 3" Long sweep is 12" ut a sanitary T is only 10 I gain 2" in drop clearance to work with...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks