Bathroom faucet repair

Users who are viewing this thread

pcary@bw.edu

Reaction score
I have a two-handle bathroom faucet that drips from the spout and I'd like to fix the drip. When I remove the handle and the hood attached to it, there is a stem sticking up with a plastic nut on it. (The nut allows the handle to turn the stem). The stem comes up from a white disc with a small v-shaped notch in it. I assume that the disc and the stem are part of a cartridge. Around that is a brass(?) collar that goes into the sink or the larger faucet assembly. I assume that to fix the drip, I need to remove the stem and disc and I will then find either a washer or rings that need to be replaced. I also assume that I should not be messing with the brass collar. Does anyone know how I get the stem/cartridge out and what I am likely to find under it? I have a good plumbing supply store, where I can take it and get whatever I need. I do not see a brand name anywhere.

Thanks very much.

Paul Cary
pcary@bw.edu

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
A picture would be helpful. But from what you have described, you need to remove everything to get to the springs and rubber seats. Then replace those.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

Without knowing the make of faucet we cannot give you specific instrucions, but at the very least you will probably have to replace the entire stem. Few newer faucets have individual replaceable parts, such as rings and washers.

pcary@bw.edu

Reaction score
Bathroom faucet repair, pic attached

Thanks for your help. I am attaching a jpg that shows the faucet with one of the handles removed. You can see the notch in the white disc. My problem is that I don't know how to remove the stem in order to replace it. Any suggestions? Should I be removing the brass "collar" around the cartridge?

Thanks again,

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_2467_800600.jpg
    IMG_2467_800600.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 905

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Leak

Yes, unscrew the brass retaining nut with a crescent wrench. Then use a pliers to pull out the stem. If there are rubber seats and springs under the stem, you need to replace those. If not, bring the stem in to the hardware store to try to match it up and replace it or rebuild it (if possible).

You must turn off the water to the faucet before removing that brass nut.

Last edited: