Basement window leaking/Foundation Crack Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric Shun

Reaction score
IMG_20190224_103524195.jpg
IMG_20190224_103536548_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
IMG_20190224_103552268.jpg
Hi all, I had a rude awakening to water in my basement this morning. I'm located in the midwest and we received a lot of rain last night on top of ice filled gutters and snow covered frozen ground. It looks like the leak in my basement came through a foundation crack that starts at the corner of a basement window. My basement floor is a little uneven and I had 1/4" puddles about 20' away, so it leaked A LOT

I have two questions. First question, would it be an acceptable fix to patch the foundation crack and reseal the window? Second question, I have a perimeter drain right below that window but none of the water went into it. I checked the sump pit and it was bone dry. Does there need to be some sort of seal over the wall so the water goes into the perimeter drain?

Reach4

Reaction score
Covers over the window well may help. If no window wells, try to slope the ground down away from the window.

For the seepage, I suggest that you add a sump and pump. That will relieve the pressure. You probably cannot stop seepage with an inside patch.

Eric Shun

Reaction score
Covers over the window well may help. If no window wells, try to slope the ground down away from the window.

For the seepage, I suggest that you add a sump and pump. That will relieve the pressure. You probably cannot stop seepage with an inside patch.

Hi Reach, thanks for the quick reply. We had the soil professionally graded this past summer and the window well does have a cover. I should have specified, the perimeter drain is interior and does have a sump pump

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks