Basement wet bar plumbing plan

Users who are viewing this thread

Chuyue

Reaction score
Greeting! I need some advice on my basement wet bar plumbing. I'm working on the rough in now and will use 1 and 1/2 inch schedule 40 PVC as the web bar sink drain pipe. The sink is about 7ft away from my utility room where the 4 inch main drain pipe goes into ground sewage (see the red circle in photo). I plan to route the 1-1/2" sink drain horizontally (the black line) to the utility room and tie in to the main stack. I will use an air admittance valve at the sink to protect the p-trap from being siphoned. I went to homedepot and found two fittings (wyv vs a tee) that might work for me. Here are my questions:
1. Is it even allowed to tie the sink drain to the main line like this? I do want a bar sink but definitely don't want all the "junks" leaving the house to possibly get in the sink since it is at the basement low point. My plan is to add a one way check valve to mitigate it. If Q1 is a no no, then I'd have to use a drain pump.
2. If Q1 is yes, then should I use a wye+1/8 bend or a sani-tee fitting to tie in my sink drain? I personally like wye, but saw something like wye+1/8 bend is prohibited for siphoning the p-trap. But in my case, I have a AAV, would it be acceptable?
Thanks for your input!

current setup-plan.jpg

Chuyue

Reaction score
Hi guys, found this online, but was not sure if it fits my case because the graphic shows the vertical pipe serves a vent pipe, but my case the vertical section is waste pipe. I thought wye+1/8 bend would get go by because I will install an air admittance valve next to the sink p-trap so it will not be syphoned. Any thought on this?
Thanks and have a great weekend!

Attachments

• ar136173105515698.jpg
    ar136173105515698.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 211

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
1) Yes

2) Either, since your drain is already vented by the AAV. The choice should be guided by the vertical offset between the horizontal drain and the new (lower) fitting. If there's very little offset, you'll need to use a san-tee. If there's more offset, it will be easier to use a 45 on the horizontal branch going to the proper length pipe to the wye.

BTW, if you want the lower wye just below the upper wye, you can avoid one joint by using a street wye on top.

Cheers, Wayne

Chuyue

Reaction score
1) Yes

2) Either, since your drain is already vented by the AAV. The choice should be guided by the vertical offset between the horizontal drain and the new (lower) fitting. If there's very little offset, you'll need to use a san-tee. If there's more offset, it will be easier to use a 45 on the horizontal branch going to the proper length pipe to the wye.

BTW, if you want the lower wye just below the upper wye, you can avoid one joint by using a street wye on top.

Cheers, Wayne
Excellent point about using street wye. Thank you so much Wayne!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks