Basement kitchenette

Users who are viewing this thread

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
Hi, looking to add a kitchenette in the basement. Supply I think it easy as I have a PEX manifold with some spare ports. Questions are around drain and vent.

I have a 4" (need to confirm) stack on the same wall as the sink is going on. I assume 4x4x2" wye is good to splice into that at whatever height provides the required slope. For the vent I plan to run a 2" pipe up to the second floor and tie into 2" vent in attic, or the horizontal portion of that vent in the second floor closet. Any concerns with that?

Second question is running the horizontal drain in the 2x4" wall which is load bearing. Which kills the 2" drain pipe idea as I think 7/8" is max allowed in the 2x4" load bearing stud. So what are my options?

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
Problem is the drain stack is all the way in the corner by the entry and I wasn't planning on having the counter/cabinets span that side of the wall.

Bedroom ___
___________________| X |
|_____________________| ENTRY |
Kitchenette

X is where the stack is.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Second question is running the horizontal drain in the 2x4" wall which is load bearing. Which kills the 2" drain pipe idea as I think 7/8" is max allowed in the 2x4" load bearing stud. So what are my options?
How many studs would you have to go through? For one or two, it would reasonable to use these:

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
A kitchenette basicaly is just a sink for the dwv system hardly a need for a 2 inch vent 1 1/2 should be plenty adequate so that should make other drilling or notching a little easier on structure

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
A kitchenette basicaly is just a sink for the dwv system hardly a need for a 2 inch vent 1 1/2 should be plenty adequate so that should make other drilling or notching a little easier on structure
Doesn't really matter given it's still more than whats allowed in the current structure, right?
How many studs would you have to go through? For one or two, it would reasonable to use these:

Cheers, Wayne
it's like 6' away from the stack

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was mentioning the vent can be 1 1/2 not the waste line the vent goes verticaly through roof and is generally easier on everything , plus Id argue no benefit to a 2 inch vent my opinion .
I dont have opinion on the hardware being the correct fix on unseen structure plus Im a plumber I cut it out and not respoceable for the structure. If I see something doubtful I leave it up to the owner, framer or GC to advize. A concideration is to flush mount the piping on outside of wall if its not that fancy a build.

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
I was mentioning the vent can be 1 1/2 not the waste line the vent goes verticaly through roof and is generally easier on everything , plus Id argue no benefit to a 2 inch vent my opinion .
I dont have opinion on the hardware being the correct fix on unseen structure plus Im a plumber I cut it out and not respoceable for the structure. If I see something doubtful I leave it up to the owner, framer or GC to advize. A concideration is to flush mount the piping on outside of wall if its not that fancy a build.
Ah I missed the vent part of the post.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks