Baseboard Layout Ideas/Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Drew1014

Reaction score
I have a Burnham V8, it is connected to 7 zones, the pump is on the return side as are the valves. There is a main trunk 1.5"D running the length of the house feeding the zones. I think with reworking the zones, I could be better off with three zone. So what side is the pump better on?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
What is a Burnham v8? If it's a cast iron old school boiler you pump should be on the supply side pumping away from the expansion tank. This will deliver the full power of the pump out toward your system and away from the boiler.

7 zones is a lot. Micro zoning isn't generally needed or very effeciant. Reworking your boiler piping is a lot of work are you sure your up to it? Your likley right that 3 zones is probably better than 7.

Drew1014

Reaction score
Here is the first floor existing layout, my thought was to remove Zone 2 as we never use it. Tie Zone 3&6 together with the one base board in dining room, to make 1 Zone, tie all remaining together to make another Zone. Then I would tie the two existing zones going to second floor together to make a 3rd zone. (second floor is a lot smaller than 1st floor.

Attachments

• 1st floor.JPG
    1st floor.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 61

Fitter30

Reaction score
Pump in a heating system is a circulator doesn't matter which side of the boiler its on. As long it has its expansion tank on the suction side of the pump. What are you trying to accomplish by zoning and how are they piped now. Diagram would be nice.

Drew1014

Reaction score
Currently pump is on return side as well as the zones valves. I do not use zone 2 as its in the garage, I also do not use zone 7 as that end of the house becomes too hot. If I crank up zone 6 the bedroom is too hot. The current system is just not working as well at it should. All of the zones are fed from a main trunk/manifold running the length of the house.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Currently pump is on return side as well as the zones valves. I do not use zone 2 as its in the garage, I also do not use zone 7 as that end of the house becomes too hot. If I crank up zone 6 the bedroom is too hot. The current system is just not working as well at it should. All of the zones are fed from a main trunk/manifold running the length of the house.
Do they tie back in the main? With diverter tees?

Drew1014

Reaction score
Simple piping diagram would help.
I will sketch it up later today here are some pictures, the insulated pipe show in the floor joist is the fed running the length of the house. The returns have tags and the blue handled hose bibs.

Attachments

• IMG_7894.jpg
    IMG_7894.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7893.jpg
    IMG_7893.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7898.jpg
    IMG_7898.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7897.jpg
    IMG_7897.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7895.jpg
    IMG_7895.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 56

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is a standard correctly placed, easy to bleed, and best functioning model. This is how everything should be arranged.
20230827_130635.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Where there are two circulators you'd place one and the zone valves would be placed in a closely spaced tee manifold. Not sure if your buying a new pump but depending on how much piping each zone has you may want a delta p pump of the zones vary in size by a lot.

Fitter30

Reaction score
All zone valves work? Zone 3 & 6 could just use one thermostat for both zones and use a small single pole relay to power the other valve if the operators are just two wire. Fin tube that is overheating a room can cover the some of the fins. Valves in your system for balancing really don't do a vary good job a globe valve or circuit setter are the two valves for balancing. Globe valves get piped in the bottom out the top.

Drew1014

Reaction score
Here is the system as it sits, I'm still drawing so I can decide best which way to go.

Attachments

• Layout.JPG
    Layout.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 63

Fitter30

Reaction score
Thats what i thought looking at ur pics. With ur boiler u need 135-140° return water. Outdoor reset would help if u need 180° water at 0°. How are the windows, doors and insulation. If not up to par that is where the money should go. Look into a energy audit by your electric company ( blower door test). State, federal tax breaks from electric company. From experience windows and doors make a lot of difference. First is noises and blinds not moving when there's wind.

Drew1014

Reaction score
Understood about the energy audit, here is the drawing showing all the baseboards. They are anderson windows/doors however this place was built in the early 90's. half vinyl siding half brick.

Attachments

• Baseboards.JPG
    Baseboards.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 57

Fitter30

Reaction score
When working with a cast boiler because they hold a few gallons of water u don't need a primary secondary loop setup like u would with a condensing boiler that holds very little. Might tie two zones together if there on the same facing exposure and the heat loads are close. If the fin tube hasn't been vacuumed in years might want to pull the covers to clean them. Condensing boilers get their 95% efficiency from under 140° return water colder the better above that temp 87%. See u have a Taco pump they might make that pump in a E series that uses a high efficiency ecm motor.

Drew1014

Reaction score
I have been cleaning the fins preparing for heat season, So with the E-series would that be to move more water?

Fitter30

Reaction score
I have been cleaning the fins preparing for heat season, So with the E-series would that be to move more water?
There close need to look at pump curves. Have any idea what ur temp difference is across the boiler or across the fin tube. Looking for 20°.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks