Baffled: Why no back up in bath tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

coyote

Reaction score
The toilet was backed up full and not flushing. I opened a cleanout in the main drain where it enters the septic tank; found the pipe was full of water. I cleared a clog at the entrance to the tank, the water gushed into the tank, and the toilet now flushes fine. What I don't get is why water didn't back up into the bath tub, too, since its drain is lower than the rim of the toilet. Any ideas? Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
Some houses have two inputs to the septic tank.

Also, there might have been two clogs. The one you cleared, and the one near the toilet that broke loose when you cleared the downstream clog.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Once the water reached the TOP of the riser int the toilet, the toilet would no longer flush, but the bathtub drain is usually higher than that. You just didn't use enough water to flood it.

coyote

Reaction score
Some houses have two inputs to the septic tank.

Also, there might have been two clogs. The one you cleared, and the one near the toilet that broke loose when you cleared the downstream clog.

Yes that makes sense--the lower clog caused a back up in the pipe which caused another clog in the toilet, allowing water to reach a level higher than the tub. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks