Attaching 4x4 posts to brick-lined patio

Users who are viewing this thread

Pbelton

Reaction score
Unique circumstance, maybe? I've yet to come across a discussion on how best to secure 4x4 posts to a brick lined patio for the purpose of rebuilding the 23 year old railing. I've considered the Simpson strong tie post bases (with standoff), but can't wrap my head around whether that would crack the brick and/or handle the appropriate side load (200lbs). I've considered fastening the base to the brick using a powder actuated tool or a red head sleeve anchor. None can tell you what the side load is estimated at though. Currently, it doesn't appear the original builder (1998) attached the post bases to the brick, but the blocking underneath seems to be anchored. Before I go demo this and find a surprise, what do you all think?

Attached photos of the blocking, ability to life posts up a bit, and a front shot of the railing.

Attachments

• Attach0 (30).jpg
    Attach0 (30).jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 751
  • Attach0 (29).jpg
    Attach0 (29).jpg
    100 KB · Views: 368
  • Attach0 (28).jpg
    Attach0 (28).jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 379
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks