Are we stuck with this vent setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

7secondsed

Reaction score
Hello!

We are remodeling our kitchen and found this vent arrangement behind the kitchen wall. We'd like to expand the window, but cannot without raising the level of the window to 54" (which is what the gc did) above the ground due to the vent. I'd like to get the window back down to a regular height.

Framing didn't pass inspection, so we have more time to take a look and come up with alternatives.

Some points:
* The vent also carries the laundry sink
* There's a second floor but no plumbing upstairs

My understanding is the piping could me moved to the right and we could do some 45s back to the existing roof vent but I don't know how big a deal that would be for the basement situation - the current piping is sent through a hole cut in the block foundation.

Thanks!

Kitchen.jpg

Basement.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
How about you bring the basement vent pipe down the space where the red broom handles are.

Then for the kitchen drainage, it would also go straight down from santee. At the desired height, you would have the santee, and the trap arm would go horizontally over to the santee, which is on the right.

So in other words, the venting for the santee is all to the right of the window. Bring the window down as low as you like-- even to the rim of the sink if you like.

In the basement photo, I am confused. Is the vent pipe the horizontal pipe, and the diagonal pipe is the drain line? It is unusual to have a valve in either a vent or drain line.

7secondsed

Reaction score
How about you bring the basement vent pipe down the space where the red broom handles are.

Then for the kitchen drainage, it would also go straight down from santee. At the desired height, you would have the santee, and the trap arm would go horizontally over to the santee, which is on the right.

So in other words, the venting for the santee is all to the right of the window. Bring the window down as low as you like-- even to the rim of the sink if you like.

In the basement photo, I am confused. Is the vent pipe the horizontal pipe, and the diagonal pipe is the drain line? It is unusual to have a valve in either a vent or drain line.
Yeah, bringing the basement vent and drainage to the right makes the most sense to me, too. I'm just not sure if we can do it without knocking out more of the foundation blocks?

For the basement, you're exactly right. Diagonal pipe goes up to the sink. Vertical pipe is the vent.

Thanks for responding!

Reach4

Reaction score
I see my error. That thing I was thinking was a valve is actually a cleanout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks