Are they compression valves that I can swap out easily?

Users who are viewing this thread

JoeyDYI80

Reaction score
Are these compression valves under my kitchen sink that I swap out with new ones easily without any cutting?

Attachments

• 20230206_120436 (1).jpg
    20230206_120436 (1).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230206_120524 (1).jpg
    20230206_120524 (1).jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 49

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Yes. Back off the big nut (holding the valve body) to remove the valve, remove the ferule, and clean the pipe smooth. A tool to pull the ferule is a good tool to own - don't dig at it with a small screwdriver. You don't want to damage the pipe. You can always use a push on valve as well.

John

EDIT: this video shows how to remove the ferrule with the tool.

Reach4

Reaction score
You may be able to leave the old nut and the old ferrule on the pipe, and screw on a new valve to the nut.

I don't know what percent will work that way.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
You may be able to leave the old nut and the old ferrule on the pipe, and screw on a new valve to the nut.

LOL, I was going to say that because I do it (works 80% of the time) because I'm lazy!!

John

JoeyDYI80

Reaction score

I was just going to ask the same thing if I could leave the old nut and ferrule there and just use the new 1/4" turn valve and all should be good. That is what the guy at Home Depot also suggested to me. Once I open it I should clean up the pipe and nut since it seems there seems to be alot of crud buildup on there. Anything in particular I should use to clean with?

JoeyDYI80

Reaction score
LOL, I was going to say that because I do it (works 80% of the time) because I'm lazy!!

John
I was just going to ask the same thing if I could leave the old nut and ferrule there and just use the new 1/4" turn valve and all should be good. That is what the guy at Home Depot also suggested to me. Once I open it I should clean up the pipe and nut since it seems there seems to be alot of crud buildup on there. Anything in particular I should use to clean with?

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score

You could run some steel wool around it or Scotchbrite I guess, just wipe it down thoroughly if you do.

John

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive changed many and reused the nut and ferrule. I had a call back on one last year kinda sucked to go back out but lucky for me the cabinet wasent installed so it would just put a drop in bucket every several minutes but was dry when I left I really watch those like a hawk.
Some times you can do 10 with no leak , I try to use use a brasscraft if thats what is being replaced. Its hit or miss on whether its nessesary to change
Lately Im just biting the bullet and pulling the ferrule

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks