Amtrol WX-203 X-Trol DIY?

Users who are viewing this thread

Montebros

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first day as a member. I recently had a plumber come to look at my water filtration system (I'll post questions about this later) and he pointed out that my Amtrol WX-203 tank was rusted and needed replacing. I am trying to figure out if I can replace this myself. No experience in plumbing DIY but fairly handy with electronics and car repair DIY. Good researcher (I think?) He wants $1,350 to replace and install tank (which may be fine for a plumbers fee) but I see that model selling for $490 and the Amtrol WX-203 Pro model for $540. My questions are: If I bought the replacement tank - is this a very difficult DIY install? Does anyone know the difference between the regular and "Pro" models? Do and get a pre-pressured tank and ... what is that? Thanks so much.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first day as a member. I recently had a plumber come to look at my water filtration system (I'll post questions about this later) and he pointed out that my Amtrol WX-203 tank was rusted and needed replacing.
Rust on the shell is not a reason to replace IMO.

Not able to hold the precharge air is a a reason to change.
If I bought the replacement tank - is this a very difficult DIY install? Does anyone know the difference between the regular and "Pro" models?
I think the regular has an elbow under the the tank that you connect to. So it accepts a threaded 1 inch pipe. Bigger capacity (such as WX-250) works the same, except the elbow is 1-1/4 inch.

The pro access models bring a pipe out of the stand for hooking up to.

Do and get a pre-pressured tank and ... what is that?
Are you asking what a precharged pressure tank is? Try some searching on the topic.

Montebros

Reaction score
Rust on the shell is not a reason to replace IMO.

Not able to hold the precharge air is a a reason to change.

I think the regular has an elbow under the the tank that you connect to. So it accepts a threaded 1 inch pipe. Bigger capacity (such as WX-250) works the same, except the elbow is 1-1/4 inch.

The pro access models bring a pipe out of the stand for hooking up to.

Are you asking what a pre-charged pressure tank is? Try some searching on the topic.
Thanks so much for your reply. I'm sorry, I definitely wasn't clear. My question should have been about buying a pre-charged because as I understand it, this could only be from a store since online sellers probably wouldn't ship a pre-charged item? Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
My question should have been about buying a pre-charged because as I understand it, this could only be from a store since online sellers probably wouldn't ship a pre-charged item?
They are shipped precharged to 38 psi, which is what would be typically used if you use a 40/60 switch with a submersible pump. If you wanted more precharge, you would use an air compressor. A "250 psi" tire inflator would typically be very slow to increase pressure. A compressor with a CFM or SCFM rating would be much faster.

I did not find a max limit for shipping rules, but I found this:
https://www.aviationsuppliers.org/asa/files/cclibraryfiles/filename/000000000514/18-9.pdf says
Under the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations, tires are treated as unregulated for air transport when they are shipped at or below their rated inflation pressure.​

It's the valve cap that is the primary seal to hold the air. The Schrader valve might slowly leak a tad.

Plumber needs to make money and pay expenses, so it costs more.

Check and adjust your precharge. Precharge is always measured and set with the water pressure zero. If that precharge holds, I would not replace. There is paint made to go over rust if the rust bothers you. The water inside the tank is separated from steel by the lining and the diaphragm.

It's recommended to check and adjust precharge annually, although I go longer than that.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Rust on the outside is not a very common cause of tank failure. Usually the bladder/diaphragm in the tank is broken from the pump cycling on and off too much. Replace that tank with a PK1A kit using a 4.5 gallon size tank. The CSV will stop the destructive cycling on and off, and the little 4.5 gallon size tank can be easily coated with something like a spray can of Flex seal and it won't runt on the outside.

pk1a-md.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks